Torque arm mount help

Torque arm mount help

jakeh937

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 Cj5, 258 with Howell Fuel injection kit, T18 with dana 20 Tcase, dana 30 front with Detroit locker, AMC 20 rear with LSD and one piece shafts, Warn 8k winch, 1" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 33 tires
I plan to add a torque arm mount to my jeep as I noticed a lot of flexing in the trans even though the mounts seem new. I ordered the parts and this doesn't seem right
80d0126189a3810f0ca2913a3b798158.png
the hole diameter seems to big. Also, the space between the mount and bushings seems excessive as well.
4753e249c7ea5166f95da589621a8a0b.png

Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest adding some healthy washers to both sides of those rubber pads. I keep my torque arm all the way tight to try and stop the gear shifters from bouncing around.

I would suggest adding some healthy washers to both sides of those rubber pads. I keep my torque arm all the way tight to try and stop the gear shifters from bouncing around.

I saw a picture that had 3 SS 1/2 washers on the bottom to take up the space and then 2 big fender washers on either sides. So that makes more sense to me now. Is the size of the bushing compared to the mount hole correct? I'm assuming the bushings (polyurethane) will squish down to get tight?

The bushing looks like it fits fine, as it will fill in as it gets tightened. You don't want to get them too tight as they can crack in time. I am sure your motor and tranny mounts are good also. If you are bouncing up a steep rocky hill in low range, the driveline really takes a beating.

The bushing looks like it fits fine, as it will fill in as it gets tightened. You don't want to get them too tight as they can crack in time. I am sure your motor and tranny mounts are good also. If you are bouncing up a steep rocky hill in low range, the driveline really takes a beating.

Perfect. I ordered a custom one one too woods with the longer splines so hopefully it will be good to take a beating. I'll be using low range a lot. Thanks for the help Torxhead

X2 on stacking washers under the bottom bushing.
Also, on the top bushing-Tighten the nut 2 turns after making contact with the bushing.
Use a locking nut here.
Under the skid plate-Make the mount as flush as reasonable.
LG

X2 on stacking washers under the bottom bushing.

Also, on the top bushing-Tighten the nut 2 turns after making contact with the bushing.

Use a locking nut here.

Under the skid plate-Make the mount as flush as reasonable.

LG

Great instructions. What do you mean by make it as flush as reasonable?

Nut'n stick'n below the nut under the skid-plate.:chug:
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks