Top transmissions 79 CJ7

Top transmissions 79 CJ7

Yukonbrown

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ7
I’m looking to buy 79 CJ7 with the 304 V8. Currently has a 3 speed automatic from Chrysler. I want to go to a 5 speed manual transmission what are my best options for a manual by make and model transmission?

I’m going to use it for some trail, surface street, and freeway on occasion.

Take a look at the Novak site, under research and read up on the trans choices. Ax15 and the NV line of trans are a good choices.

X2 on Novak and the above advice

MHO on the other side of this: Why the switch to a manual? Automatics have more than proven themselves in the 4x4 world. Also the 79 CJ7 did not come with a Chrysler transmission. Jeep used the TH 400 during the 70's. It was mated to the Quadratac Transfer Case. (the first of the AWD transfer cases) Sounds like your combination is not original to your Jeep. The TH 400 is an awesome heavy duty transmission. A Novack adapter could be used to bolt up a transfer case of your choice.

Since we're throwing out opinions...I would never, and I mean ever, have a manual in a Jeep. I know, I know - 8 of 10 of you will freak out but it is what it is.

Automatics are fantastic off-road. I have a TH400 (for now, doing 700r4 next year) in my 77 and my 84 will have a 700r4.

As stated, it's more than likely that you have a TH400, but I'm curious what transfer case you have. Regardless, they are great out of the box, and some kits can make them even better.

Since we're throwing out opinions...I would never, and I mean ever, have a manual in a Jeep. I know, I know - 8 of 10 of you will freak out but it is what it is.

Automatics are fantastic off-road. I have a TH400 (for now, doing 700r4 next year) in my 77 and my 84 will have a 700r4.

As stated, it's more than likely that you have a TH400, but I'm curious what transfer case you have. Regardless, they are great out of the box, and some kits can make them even better.

007 I'm not a auto hater. I wouldn't mind having one 99% of the time. What happens when the brakes fail on a steep mountain. Only reason is I saw the video of the full size Bronco many years ago losing its brakes and went out of control going downhill. Not saying a manual might not have problems. That video just kinda made me think about that some :)

007 I'm not a auto hater. I wouldn't mind having one 99% of the time. What happens when the brakes fail on a steep mountain. Only reason is I saw the video of the full size Bronco many years ago losing its brakes and went out of control going downhill. Not saying a manual might not have problems. That video just kinda made me think about that some :)

I would imagine the same thing for a manual transmission. I don't know of any transmission that would stop a steep descent. Parking Brake first, then shift into park, shift transmission case if possible, JUMP! Just saying! :-)

Haven't seen the video or details, but downshifting and using the parking brake come to mind for me... It's like anything else, you need to be as mentally prepared as possible for whatever could possibly happen regardless of your equipment. Know your rig.

In 2018 I was headed with the group from Silverton to the Black Bear Pass trailhead. Very cold that morning. Just a mile or so out of Silverton I had a rubber transmission line blow off a steel fitting and start puking fluid on exhaust manifold. I'm sure it was both a cold, contracted fitting and a line that wasn't tight enough. We fixed it and added fluid on the side of the road and went on.

I was fine heading up the mountain as RPM's were up and fluid was moving well, but not long after we began the decent I noticed the fluid was low enough and RPM's low enough that the torque converter would basically disengage and it would coast.

I was out of spare fluid so I had to just be smart and be a better driver. I ended up doing the Black Bear steps in neutral because I didn't want it to grab and then lunge unexpectedly in that dangerous stretch. I used brakes, holes and rocks to keep it slow. Coincidentally I made my best Black Bear video on that pass and put it on Youtube.

Now, I'm no professional and I didn't do anything that a lot of folks couldn't have done, but the key was knowing what I had, the risks and the workarounds.

Well I had a hard time finding the video. It use to be about a 2 minute video showing the vehicle going up then back down. It has been cut down to the last 14 seconds. Google Moab the crash

Here's a another way to think about it. Back when I was looking to get a Corvette I was talking with one of my friends with whom we tailgate with. I was yakking it up about color, horsepower, speed and manual trans for doing some donuts when my wife steps in a comments on an auto trans. I was like what?! You driving my car?! Then with voice of reason she reminded me about tailgating with the posse. I was checkmated, yeah I suppose an auto would be better in the hilly streets of Austin after a football game. So the point is what if you aren't available to drive? Amy can drive a standard, but in the long run it makes better sense for my family to have an auto. So the Corvette is auto and my LS swap will be mated to a TH350 using the Dana 20 xfer case.

~~~
In 2018 I was headed with the group from Silverton to the Black Bear Pass trailhead. Very cold that morning. Just a mile or so out of Silverton I had a rubber transmission line blow off a steel fitting and start puking fluid on exhaust manifold. I'm sure it was both a cold, contracted fitting and a line that wasn't tight enough. We fixed it and added fluid on the side of the road and went on.
~~~
Hmmm... Look familiar? :) :chug: :beer: Had to use a make shift funnel.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180823_085559.jpg
    20180823_085559.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 25
Hmmm... Look familiar? :) :chug: :beer: Had to use a make shift funnel.

attachment.php

Ha! Perfect! That was it for sure....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks