Diff Too many shifters...

Differentials
Diff Too many shifters...

shum8

Voted most irritating
Gold Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'80 CJ-7, AMC 304, T177, Dana 300, Widetrack axles (D30 & AMC20) w/ 3.73 gearing, MSD ignition,
This may not belong here, but it applies to the drivetrain in a sideways fashion. Stopped at the grocery store the other day to pick up a few things, and when I came out there was a tricked out black JK parked next to me. I had the door uppers off, and the JK owner was standing between the two with his head stuck in my passenger door. I threw my stuff in, got in, and he was still standing there staring at the floor ...... I asked how he was and if he needed any help - and he looked up and asked “why two sticks?” I said come again, and he said “why do you have two shifters?”. I said uh, one for the transmission, and the other for the transfer case...... He finally looked up, said “Oh, ok. Nice Jeep” and turned and went inside. Took me a couple minutes to process that one LOL.

Shame you don't have a twin stick you really could have threw him for a loop

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

That’s what Gert said - LOL

Sent from my walker using Tapatalk

There is a guy on another forum and he has 4.

Can you imagine a twin stick and pto shifter, that dudes brain would have been scrambled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you imagine a twin stick and pto shifter, that dudes brain would have been scrambled

God forbid he ever looks inside an 18 wheeler

It’s not for a pto either. Another box to make the gearing super low.

Attachments

• C755387B-1533-401C-B926-E3824F749A53.jpeg
    C755387B-1533-401C-B926-E3824F749A53.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 11
I would have been cleaning brains out of my floorboard....... My first response to home was rather sarcastic and abrasive...... for some reason I took the high road. Off my game.

Three I could understand...... but two??

a3bc65603be4d3f443a8dea33be97a59.gif

Three I could understand...... but two??

a3bc65603be4d3f443a8dea33be97a59.gif

New jeep owners. Your lucky if there's one shifter. Everything is going to buttons and nobs

My Dad had a CJ3b when I was a kid that had 4 sticks on the floor. 3 speed transmission, high/low range, 2wd/4wd/ and overdrive.

I can't find a good picture, but it was a trip to drive around, and confused the heck out of all of my friends when they got it in.

God forbid he ever looks inside an 18 wheeler

I have driven a1953 Mack boom truck with a triplex trans set up.................. a real workout. Now I drive a Western Star with a 10 and 4 aux much more fun! Single trans trucks are pretty simple.

I have driven a1953 Mack boom truck with a triplex trans set up.................. a real workout. Now I drive a Western Star with a 10 and 4 aux much more fun! Single trans trucks are pretty simple.

I remember seeing the twin stick trans Mack set-ups. I found this picture for anyone that has never heard of them. I've seen videos of guys looping an arm through the steering wheel to be able to use both hands on both sticks while getting going. Absolutely nuts, and I could only imagine what would you'd have to do if you got lost while upshifting, or worse downshifting through the gears.

2475d1501528752-1957-b-model-mack-img_0030-1.jpg

I had a 1970 Land Rover when I was younger. It had a 4-speed transmission, a 4WD lever, alow ranger lever and an overdrive that worked in the PTO output. Add the parking brake lever and it was pretty crowed IFO the center seat.

16 forward speeds and 4 reverse. The trick move when coming off the highway was to reach through the steering wheel with your left hand and downshift the transmission to 3rd while also shifting out of overdrive with your right hand. One lever forward, the other back.

I remember seeing the twin stick trans Mack set-ups. I found this picture for anyone that has never heard of them. I've seen videos of guys looping an arm through the steering wheel to be able to use both hands on both sticks while getting going. Absolutely nuts, and I could only imagine what would you'd have to do if you got lost while upshifting, or worse downshifting through the gears.

2475d1501528752-1957-b-model-mack-img_0030-1.jpg
When you miss the shift most often you stop and start over, a real pain in the A BAD WORD when your heavy and underpowered as is.

My '63 had four. He'd have lost his mind and it would take some time to explain it to him.
Transmission, over-drive, hi-lo and 2-4 wd..

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks