Tires

Tires

ddp

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj7 SR4 Transmission 258 engine
Am going to change the tires on my 81 CJ7. It has 33's. Want to go back to close to stock which will help my transmission(SR4) among other things I guess.
Gearing is 2.73. Will be getting rims also. Guess 15x8 is what I need. Don't think I have a lift kit had 2 people look and both said no. What tire would work better for my gearing and tranny. Was thinking 235,75,15. Would that be good or another size better.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0109n.jpg
    IMG_0109n.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 463
The 235's would be the closest to stock. I have always ran 31-10.5s on all my Jeeps with stock gearing.

I am trying to save transmission, would like to run the biggest tires I can with out causing undue stress on the driveline. Would 31's be to much?

No I'm running them with a T-5 and have wheeled it hard with no problems.

I ran 31s with 3.08 gearing for years on a t5 with no issues. 265s are 29.5 inches and would look better plus give you what you want. Those bigger flares will look a little goofy with the 235s.

265's are what I am looking at. Would 8 in rim work well with the? That size would not be to hard on tranny would it?. I think I will try and sell my tires and rims as a whole so plan on buying some rims also. Offset and all that stuff will not matter on that size tire will it. Ones I have now rub if I turn to sharp.

IMO 8" wheels are as big as you would want.

With 265s I think so.

I have found a package deal on 15x7 rims and 31x10.5x15 tires. Will this be small enough tires to not make it hard on my transmission?

be sure to go with minimum offset on the rims.:cool:

You did not mention what the width on the wheels you own now is. unless you absolutely hate the rims you may be able to re use them with the smaller tires.

I say yes, this is what I run on all my Jeeps.

Rims I have now are 10 in . Figured I would just leave tires on them in case I ever need them again. Rim offset is 3.75. Can order online and save about $200 ready to be put on Jeep. Hate not to buy local but they won't try to come close on price.

I would say get it, without worrying about that tranny. A 31" tire is a little larger, but not that much.

Ordered 31 in tires and new 15x7 rims. Hope I can tell the difference in handling and also hope much easier on transmission,. Have already been thinking what to put in if the SR4 goes out. Not much of a mechanic so would need one that was a close bolt on. Anyway thanks for all the help on tires.

Finally changed the 33's out for 31's. I like it much better. Changed rims from chrome to black and like that much better also. Hope it makes it easier on clutch and transmission.

Ditching chrome rims is a good choice, since they can spin tires on their smooth surface, plus ruin tire balance. I once watched a CJ in the rocks rotate all 4 chrome wheels and the tires did not move.

Where did you get the rims? I'm looking at getting a new set soon.

I got mine from a local 4wd shop, if you have no access to one, you will probably have to get some mailed to you from one of the big box 4wd outfits. Then there is always the junkyard, or Ebay, after all its only a Jeep.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks