Timing and Harmonic Balancer

Timing and Harmonic Balancer

Jeepmerunning

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7. Inline 6. Mostly stock with a 3 inch body lift. 33 inch MTs. Dana 300 tcase. T-176 tranny.
My 1985 CJ sputters when turning off the key. I can only reach 50mph when going downhill. I found the distributor bolt very loose, so I think I've got a timing issue. I borrowed a timing light, but I'm not sure where to point the strobe. Is it the harmonic balancer? Is that in front of the block? Any images? 1985 CJ I6.

There is a mark (line) on the balancer and a graduated plate on the front of the engine. You want to rotate the distributor until the mark on the balancer lines up with the correct ignition timeing for your I6. Probably around 5 degrees before top dead center (with the vacuum line disconnected from your distributor). Could be different if there are any modifications - I'm not very knowledgeable on the I6 specs.

Please fill out your profile as direct when you created your account. It helps us know what you CJ is equiped with.

This is exactly what you're shooting at with your timing light:

4iy99l.jpg

fojdxd.jpg

Well TD to the rescue
I mean where else but at Jeep-CJ.com do you finf guys that go that much out of the way to help you out.
This has to be the best CJ site on the web

Thanks for the replies. I see the image showing the "notches." Should they be numbered? I was under the impression the notches count up from zero in both directions. The image is very useful. Thanks again.

The second little tick mark from the tube thingie (which is actually a socket for a special timing tool none of us will ever see) is 0. To the left is BTDC (before top-dead-center), which is where you want to go. Each tick mark is two degrees; in that bottom photo you can barely see the bottom end of the 20BTDC mark. YOU will want about 9 degrees BTDC, so set it between the 4th & 5th tick marks. That's with the vacuum hose pulled off the distributor & plugged and the engine idling. If you get detonation ("rattle") on acceleration, back it up to 7 degrees.

Each notch is 2 degrees and the notch farthest to the drivers side is 0 or Top Dead Center (TDC).
My book says you should be at 9 degrees before TDC:cool:

Each notch is 2 degrees and the notch farthest to the drivers side is 0 or Top Dead Center (TDC).
My book says you should be at 9 degrees before TDC:cool:

From the FSM:

qs6sdj.jpg

AMC wasn't confused I was.:cool:
I should have said"the one that says 0":D

The last time I messed with timing was on a '61 Falcon, and it was new. Anyway, after reading this thread, the old brain kicked in gear. That dang noise ain't an exhaust leak!! Hauled out that new timing light I got for Christmas and checked it out. Dang thing was set at about 12*. Backed it off to 7* and dang, that rattle went away. Well almost - still get just a little if I step on it really hard. Might try one more degree tomorrow.
Next step is to mess with the fuel mixture. Finally figured out it's a Carter BBD, but without the stepper motor. Think it's running a little rich, because I'm getting kind of a soot buildup on the tail end of the exhaust pipe. Never messed with one of these, so it should be educational to say the least.

Oh, it WILL be - I promise you that! :)

The BBD is a whole 'nuther aminal, it is. It's got no stepper at all in it? Is there at least the plunger that the stepper normally drives? It should barely be visible down inside the carburetor throat, crossing a pocket in the side. If that's there, you may be able to adjust it to a leaner mix. If not, all bets are off... :eek:

I'll set the mark betweeen the 4th and 5th ticks per this thread, but I firs tried between the 3rd and 4th because that's what I see in my Chilton's for the I6 with an electronic ignition. It idles fine in the driveway, but when I back out and head down the block to the stop sign it dies if I don't push in the clutch and increase the revs.

get your timing set at 8 deg. if it still does it play with the carb a little, try adjusting the idle screw, tinker with the mixture screws, i mean its a bbd you can't make it much worse than it already is. mine was doing the same thing before the engine rebuild i reset the timing and "tuned" the carb by ear good enough to make it run decent until i could start "upgrading" things

Easy Fix for Jeep 258 Carter BBD Idle Problem
Check this out, The carter is not a great carb, there is no argument there but it isn't nearly as bad as it is made out to be.:cool:
The timing is a constant, get it set right and look for problems elsewhere. When you disconnected the vacuum line from the dizzy did you plug the hose with a screw or something?? I think the whole thing goes better with out any vacuum leaks.

Whew! I thought you maybe pointed to the Nutter Bypass, which can't be done if there's no stepper in evidence. :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks