Trans Threaded hole top of transmission case?

Trans Threaded hole top of transmission case?

Fastcat14

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7 258
I have a 76 CJ7 with 4 speed manual and the 258. It’s new to me. Gear oil was seeping up and leaking out through the top of the shifter boot. When I took off the boot I noticed there is an open hole just aft of the shifter linkage. after I cleaned it up I noticed it is threaded. Clearly nothing had been in this hole for a while. Any ideas? Some kind of a vent or breather maybe? There was plenty of gear oil in the case.
Thanks for any ideas!

Attachments

• 5607288D-61C2-4DB6-99FD-D7C240AA0354.jpeg
    5607288D-61C2-4DB6-99FD-D7C240AA0354.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 13
  • A8E1E569-8CEF-4EFB-AE52-89318B708282.jpeg
    A8E1E569-8CEF-4EFB-AE52-89318B708282.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 13
Solution
If it's not the reverse light switch hole, found on different places on different transmissions, it's the vent.
Now, aside from the factory vent, if you do deep water, consider a barbed fitting in that vent hole.
A barbed fitting will allow you to run a hose higher up on the vehicle.
You can also hook up an air source, like from a little compressor (mounted up high) and supply pressurized air to the running gear when in deep water.
This keeps the water out of transmission, transfer case, axles etc.
I also pressurize the distributor cap/distributor so it blows bubbles under water instead of drowning out.
Just some ideas, use them if it fits your application.
If it's not the reverse light switch hole, found on different places on different transmissions, it's the vent.
Now, aside from the factory vent, if you do deep water, consider a barbed fitting in that vent hole.
A barbed fitting will allow you to run a hose higher up on the vehicle.
You can also hook up an air source, like from a little compressor (mounted up high) and supply pressurized air to the running gear when in deep water.
This keeps the water out of transmission, transfer case, axles etc.
I also pressurize the distributor cap/distributor so it blows bubbles under water instead of drowning out.
Just some ideas, use them if it fits your application.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Solution

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom