Build Thread The $120 Jeep CJ7 build thread

Build Thread The $120 Jeep CJ7 build thread
Take time. That’s the way to get things done. Correctly.

Man, I wish this thing was done so I could be out riding in the snow...

11j.JPG

I’m 15 years into my build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old jeeps never die. They just get rebuilt.

Restore, customize, accessorize.

jeep_evolution.jpg

Last edited:
Don’t let perfectionism, age, high expectations and the like get in the way of your build. Life’s too short. Lol, I do this myself.

I’ve found that my build has been a journey of anticipation, frustration, elation, and patience. Like you, I struggle to not get frustrated at my pace of progress. Just have to keep saying patience and take your time.

I’ve found that my build has been a journey of anticipation, frustration, elation, and patience. Like you, I struggle to not get frustrated at my pace of progress. Just have to keep saying patience and take your time.

X3

Progress!
Sort of. Got the last 2 tires mounted, so she's a roller once again. I took her off the jack stands, and put her back on the dollies for easy movement.

11l.JPG

OK... problem.
No easy movement. Months of dirt, sand, leaves, metal shavings, sawdust, broken bolts, and such debris have collected on the floor (not seen in the above photo) meaning the little rollers, they no roll. This prompted a long overdue cleanup that netted what seemed like somewhere around 6.2 metric tons of trash.

11m.JPG

Now having cleaned up some. I felt like doing something... but no more new parts.
I looked around for something I could do with what I had in the garage already, and found a seat. It's one I got for the Montero some time back, but it turned out to be the wrong year, and wouldn't fit, so I had to make a bracket to fix the old seat. AND... it's kinda desert tan looking... hum. It's not gonna fit in the YJ Tub either, but I can try to MAKE it fit. So out came the cut off wheel, and grinder, and off came the mounting tabs.

11n.JPG

11o.JPG

11p.JPG

Then I got out the custom home fabbed seat bracket that came with the tub. The previous owner made it to fit TJ seats to it. It has a real beefy bottom plate for welding to, so I'll just reuse that. First, the old brackets need to come off. They're about 12.5" apart, and the new seat rails are 16" apart. This is as far as I got before I was too sore to anything else, so that's it for the time being. I can build wings off the very strong front posts, and then build all new rear posts.
Later.
I need a nap.
I have a Treasure Hunt drawing to officiate tonight at the VFW.

11q.JPG

11r.JPG

Well, a man can only do so much on one thing before his ADHD kicks in... or his welder craps out. Wire feed problems when I was tacking in the new mounts. That's ok, my welding sucks anyhow. The proverbial phrase "Looks like Ray Charles did it with his feet." comes to mind. So... I took all the pieces for the mounts to a local machine shop to be stitched together. Next, I looked around for something I COULD work on. I found this old hitch from when I had a F-250 Super Duty. It sticks out way too far, and that big adjustable mounting plate has to go, so U started in with the cutting wheel & grinder again.

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

Got the seat bracket back all welded up. They did good. I took in all the pieces I had cut, told them what I wanted, and that's what I got. I'm happy. Should hold up pretty well. I can undo 4 bolts to pull the seat, and sliders, leaving the bottom plate in the tub if need be. Got the army style anti-theft chain welded to the plate so I can run it through the steering wheel and lock it up too. Also got a couple packages in. My shifter, and the brake lines. I'll spare you the unboxing, but will post photos later.

11u.jpg

11v.jpg

Got the pintle hitch finished up, and mounted today. I had to order the plate for the safety chains to maintain that military look. Once I got the bar shortened, (yes BAR, not tube... that's a solid 2" square bar) and drilled a new hole in it (not something you do with just one battery) I put the safety chain bracket on and mounted it up. Much more like an original off a military jeep. Just have to wait for a warm day to paint it. (and the seat bracket) Gives it that proper military look from the rear end.

11w.jpg

11x.jpg

Then I got to opening my boxes. New brake lines, and a shifter. Hope they fit, and work as planned...

11y.jpg

11z.jpg

Loving the nice weather. Spent some quality time out in the garage with "two seven" last couple days. Don't have any new parts to slap on real easy, but I did get some stuff done with parts on hand that had been taking way too long to finish. Gas tank for one. I never did finish the process of doing all the chemical treatment required to do the Eastwood Fuel Tank Liner, and couldn't really work with the chemicals out in freezing weather. Here's all the :dung: required according to the instructions on the bottle. During the process I'm required to flush the tank out with water, so I took the chance to see how many gallons it holds... Just over 17, with some spillage between containers.

Then the liner itself.

Now... instructions say to insert an air hose with it set to 2 to 4 psi. it take 48 hrs to fully dry. OK, this is weird, but I'll do it. Don't want any troubles with a gas tank out in BFE some day. I walk out in the garage next morning. OMG the fumes!!

12a.jpg12b.jpg12c.jpg12e.jpg12f.jpg

Next up, paint the newly modified trailer hitch. Rather "Army" looking.
12g.jpg

As long as it was spray painting weather, I hit the seat mount with a coat, and mounted the main seat belt. This is a racing belt that came on the '79 CJ5 I got the engine, and axles out of. It has shoulder straps and a anti-dive belt too. Not sure I'll use them. That other Jeep had plastic seats mounted on the cage.

12h.jpg12i.jpg12j.jpg12k.jpg12l.jpg

I started looking at the lines I got not long ago. Some of them are very close to the originals.
Front one probably is too, having a Dana 44 from a full size Dodge truck doesn't help matters. It is, however, close enough that I could modify it to work.
The rear... well that's another story. I can't make heads or tails out of what they labeled as the right and left rear axle lines. even IF I had a stock axle. (and a Chrysler 9.25 is NOT) Furthermore what came with is was just hanging from the frame, and calipers... I'll need to make my own here.
By the way... anyone got tips on the power brake set op on a YJ? Neither the '79 CJ5, or the '80 CJ7 I took apart had power brakes. I want to use the power set up that came with the YJ tub. The CJ5 (I got the axles from) has a manual master cylinder, with a Willwood proportioning valve to adjust for the 4 wheel disc conversion.
12m.jpg12n.jpg12o.jpg12p.jpg

Forgot what it was like to work outside in 80 degree temps...
I didn't last long today, but I did finally get the fuel tank in for what I hope is the last time.
One step closet to dropping the tub on in any case.

12s.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks