Tall Guy Seat Extension

DustyTrucks

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7
Hey CJ7-clansmen,
Just wanna throw :dung: at you and see if it sticks... :D

I'm 6'8", needless to say it's cramped up front. Can't move the seat brackets back because the floor is humped, so I'm extending the top of the brackets back with 1 1/2" angle iron.

Went to HDepot and bought 36" lengths which I cut in half to give me 2 1/2" of rear extension off the back of the seat bracket. Idea being, create 4 new holes and mount the seat further back.

Ideas? You think it'll hold the weight?

Pics to come -Dusty

sounds good to me, guessing 1/8" angle?

6'8'' maybe just take it out and sit in the back seat. :D

Hey I bolted the seat base in and set my seat on top were I needed it and just re-drilled the holes and bolted them down. I'm 6' 5 and have plenty of room

I was worried about the amount of seat hanging off the end of the bracket, that's why I added the angle iron. Yes IO, 1/8" thick.

I wouldn't mind a big ol comfy bench seat instead! That would be nice!

maybe the back seat from a Suburban maybe.

I was worried about the amount of seat hanging off the end of the bracket, that's why I added the angle iron. Yes IO, 1/8" thick.

I wouldn't mind a big ol comfy bench seat instead! That would be nice!

With the seat father back, does the seatbelt (assuming you have a shoulder belt) still sit right against your shoulder/chest? Just wondering if you had to compromise any safety.

Dain

Dain,

I had to take out the belts, the hardware was rusted and untrustworthy. When I finish all the patch work and order the new belts and install them I'll get back to you. However, my plan is to mount the new retractor to one of the bolts I used for the bottom rollbar bracket.

I firmly believe in new hardware, and am trying to replace as much as possible. As I look at it though, it doesn't seem like any of my mounting work will affect safety or the operation of the belts. I also removed the front seat slider, which drops the seat height 1".

-Dusty

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks