T5 Transmission

T5 Transmission

bakocj7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 cj7, 4.2 I6, T5 transmission, Dana 300 Transfer case
I have a T5 Transmission that I recently pulled from my CJ7. I have several gears with broken teeth. After looking at the cost to rebuild it myself or by a rebuilt T5 I can pick up a Muncie SMT465 with the adapters and bell housing to match my CJ7 for about the same price. I am new to Transmissions so I dont know what the best option for me would be. I have seen a lot of negative things about the T5 transmission though.

I have a T5 Transmission that I recently pulled from my CJ7. I have several gears with broken teeth. After looking at the cost to rebuild it myself or by a rebuilt T5 I can pick up a Muncie SMT465 with the adapters and bell housing to match my CJ7 for about the same price. I am new to Transmissions so I dont know what the best option for me would be. I have seen a lot of negative things about the T5 transmission though.

First, welcome to the forum!

This question is not easy to answer. There are a plethora of transmissions that will work or can be made to work. Without know what your end goal is it will be hard pressed to get you a straight answer as to what is the best option. The main issue here is that you are comparing 2 completely different transmissions. Are you building a street vehicle or a bulldozer?

I kid but the muncie is a big brick with dual PTOS and a 6.55 first gear. The t5 is an overdrive tranny with street gearing. So what are you building your jeep to do?

My personal opinion is stick with a 5 speed. Either rebuild or buy a good condition t5 and make sure you have the correct gear ratio to handle your tire size and you will see good life from it. Or you can look into an ax15 or Nv3550 which are much stronger transmissions. But I am building my CJ to primarily see street use.

As stated, what/how do you use your CJ? The T5 has a reputation for being a weak transmission, and for that reason I am in the gathering parts phase to replace mine. I'm going with a T19 because it's fully synchronized. The SM465 is a great trans, but if you dont do much off roading, the granny low first gear is a kind of a waste.

I've been run'n a T5 for 29+ years.
Allot has to do with R&P gearing and how you drive.
My Jeep allot of rocks and hard trails but I don't beat it to death either.
Who knows how the PO treated that T5.
Muncie is good-VERY GOOD!
LG

I was in the same boat as you. I had an '82 CJ7 with a 258 and a T5. When the transmission gave out I put in a Ford T18. It will bolt up to your bellhousing but you need to drill and tap 4 holes. It's not hard.
Then to adapt to the Dana 300 I got an adapter from Advance Adapters. Novak makes a very similar kit. This entails replacing the main (output) shaft of the T18. Then the T18 with the adapter will be the same size as the T5. Because of that this is about the only swap does not require modifying the length of the drive shafts.
The T5 is worthless and the T18 is an excellent heavy duty truck transmission. That would be my recommendation.
:chug:

SM465 or T18 if you want something really strong, but both require pricey adapters to mate to the Dana 300.

T176 is stronger than the T5 and doesn't require adapters, but you'll need new driveshafts/ driveshaft lengths changed.

SM465 or T18 if you want something really strong, but both require pricey adapters to mate to the Dana 300.

T176 is stronger than the T5 and doesn't require adapters, but you'll need new driveshafts/ driveshaft lengths changed.

Just so happens that I have a t176 and driveshafts in my garage

Yep, I have a T176 and everything needed to put it in sitting in my shop for that time when my T5 gives up the ghost.

That would be my preference. I have a truck with an SM465 in it. Really good strong transmission, but for my 31" tires an 258 it's overkill for a Jeep, and the T176 shifts a lot easier.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks