T5 from a Camaro

T5 from a Camaro

jwill22

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 Cj-7, rebuilt 258i, Carb-Motorcraft 2150, TFI ignition, T-176, Dana 300, dana 30 in front, Rear Dana 44, 4in lift, 33in tires, 4:10 gears
Not sure if this is a dumb question: but what's the difference between a t-5 that was used in Camaro to that of one in a jeep?

I'm still looking for a transmission and i stumbled across a post on craigslist. It's a t5 and even though im looking to upgrade i also need to get the jeep going since i need a daily driver once again. Plus its hard to find any transmissions out here in el paso for a decent price. Supply and demand i guess.

anyway here is the post i found on craigslist, it has a picture of the stamp I.D

T5 transmission / 5 Spd

Thanks for the help!

World class T5's were used in Mustangs and Cameros. They are not interchangable with Jeep T5's. You MIGHT be able to do it, but I'm guessing since I've never seen anyone do it in 20 years of Jeeping that it's not cost effective to do it (by the time you swap out everything that needs to be swapped, your in $$$$, whereas you could swap a different transmission in (AX15 for example) and be $$$ ahead.)

The Borg-Warner T4 & T5 Jeep Transmissions - Novak Conversions

Mustang T5 vs. Jeep T5 - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

It's not worth it.
The shift on a 2WD T5 is in the tailhousing. On the 4WD version that shift is in the rear TCase mount. It is possible to convert a 2WD to a 4WD T5 but it's far from worth it. The t5 is among the worst transmissions to ever go into a CJ.
t5-5speeds-com.jpg

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/manual-cj-transmissions-12112/#post97094

Thanks for the heads up! Luckily i didn't make an irrational decision and go out there and buy it on impulse, then id be really screwed.:eek:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks