T4 or T5

T4 or T5

weaverkb

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5`
I tried searching but wasn't able to come up with anything definitive on this. I have an 81 CJ5 with a fairly fresh 4.2 and a weak/suck SR4. I have another good SR4 that I can put in it but I don't want to go that route. I'm looking to swap in a T4 or T5 in it's place. Yes, I know, just put in a T176, T18, or whatever but I'm looking for ease of install and cheap. I don't wheel hardcore, so I don't need something that strong. With my 3.73 gears and 33s would it even be necessary for the 5th gear or would it be pointless? I have a line on both of these trannys and need to make a decision.

What's wrong with the SR4 that you have. Whore out? Broke? They are a known weak transmission but I've seen SR4s wheeled for years that have lasted for a long time as long as you don't abuse it. The T4/5s are only a little better.
If you think you need to go down the road faster then the T5 is what you'll want.

The one in it is completely wore out but the other one is in decent shape. I just don't want to go through the trouble of swapping it out just to have the same issue in a short time.

I think a 3.73 is a good ratio for the 258, and you could go either route with transmissions. There are numerous gear ratio charts on the net to advise you of what tire size will give you about what rpm.

It will be he same "trouble" to do no matter what transmission you decide on. The parts you need are well documented and relatively easy to find, remember this is a factory set-up too. If you don't want the same trouble down the road get something else. or not you might get lucky ... you won't, but I'm not very good at predicting the future.

Abusing your transmission isn't necessarily ramming and jamming around. With these smaller transmissions going with bigger tires and the great traction you get on pavement is abuse. You don't need to be drag racing to strain these light duty transmissions.

When I still had 3:31 R&P in mine with 33" tires the 5th was never used.
Now that I run 4:88 R&P, the 5th is used.
Don't think you'll use it much, if at all. BUT, get it anyway.
LG

With that combo you'll wish you had it when you get on the highway. And besides the extra gear, the T5 is just a T4, so it won't hurt to have that extra gear even if you don't need it. But I'd bet you will. I do.

Ahhhh a gamblin' man, I like it!

Thanks guys. I found a T5 nearby and believe I am going to go get it.

Don't use ATF fluid in a Jeep T5.
Get some 75W-90 syn gear oil.
Only the World Class T5 uses ATF as the correct oil.
Good luck,
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks