Trans T150 rebuild problems

407-loco

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj7
So I'm putting the transmission all back together and something isn't right. This transmission was trashed most of all the gears are ok enough for what I plain on using it for. But synchronizers was gone one set exploded and that's the reason I had to rebuild. Might have to buy 2 new sets of synchronizers but there's a bigger problem.

It won't go back together I rebuild synchronizers and new brass ring and replaced the reverse idler gear all new bearing and needle bearings. Put all together and when you push in the rear bear pushes out the front bearing. But if you take off the spacing washer on the back of the shaft (one that goes into the transfer case) it all goes together.

Question is could someone have put wrong parts in this transmission years ago to make it be like this. Allgears one the shaft have to be in the correct spot and correct spacing because all the clips and new washers line up. Didn't know if the front clutch shaft could be wrong. Because it's brass ring was almost completely gone when I took it apart.
FYI this was not the factory transmission had can from a junk yard at some point. After cleaning it noticed the yellow marking paint and old writing on it plus had about 3or4 different color rvt used on it.

Never took something apart that I couldn't get back together very aggravating 😤.

Well I may have fix my transmission problem. Found another one complete bell house shifter stick and transfer case for less then what new synchronizers housings will cost. If the shipping isn't to much think I'm going this direction.

Got the replacement in opened it up and feels like a gut punch. I will be calling the junk yard tomorrow but doubt I'll get any money back. To good to be true never works out for me should have known.

Attachments

• 20220310_183417.jpg
    20220310_183417.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220310_183413.jpg
    20220310_183413.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 10
To bad you are not closer, I have one that someone gave me probably 10 years ago, mated to the transfer case. I have no need for it.

To bad you are not closer, I have one that someone gave me probably 10 years ago, mated to the transfer case. I have no need for it.
^X2...will end up in the dumpster

Getting a full refund plus get to keep everything.

So next question is anyone know where I can order a rebuild transmission. Only place I've found is deadjeep.com. Called around to local shops no one wants to rebuild something that old.

That beats Collins Bros in Wylie, TX. They're about $1,500 for a rebuilt unit. Novak is in a similar range. Woody's 4x4 is way too proud of their stuff, asking about $1,800 for one. Choice Automotive has one for $1,145 and free shipping. They have no core charge, but will pay you $50 and cover the shipping to get yours back. Choice Auto T-150

I called dead jeeps they're really nice people told me there refurbished one's are built with used OEM parts. Didn't sound to good to me for that price. But after talking they did say that they would send me a box I could load up all my new and old parts they would put it together and buy any of my old parts off me they didn't need. And it would be way cheaper just going to be a longer process of shipping and waiting.

Do have a call out to one local transmission shop to see if they can do it (called after 5 so have to wait till Monday).

Also have kicked it around about taking the second transmission apart (because they don't want it back) and seeing if I can make one out of two.

See that's my problem or aggravation I have all the tools and gotten a rebuild kit. Just not sure if the final product is correct or not. Usually I can find an old timer who has did this before to ask or get to come look at it but I don't have one for this project. I've rebuilt aircraft engines for my airboats had a question get a second opinion drag motors so on and so forth. That's what 🤬 me off with this I hate to tap out but may have to take this to a higher power.

If you're not 100% sure on your rebuild, a local shop with more experience, and possibly a 30 day warranty or something, is not a bad idea. Even shipping to someone like Dead Jeeps or Novak is not too bad either, depending on the price. I have only ever rebuilt a single auto trans in my life. So when it came time to do my 700R4 in my rig, I sent it to Novak. 100% satisfied with the work. Half the cost of another one, got some upgrades installed at the same time (shift kit, stronger bands, higher volume pump), and they even installed the adaptor for my D300 before sending it back. I also got my rebuild kit and twin stick kit for the D300 from them. So they discounted the tranny build a bit as part of a "package" deal.

No reason to feel like you "tapped out". While it's a great feeling to do it yourself, none of us are experts at everything. Some do better on the mechanics, others on the electrical, maybe paint is your gig, or whatever. Getting it done right and being confident in how it was done is the important thing.

Another option is if your going to get a new trans you could swap in a AX-15. It's not a bad swap and now you have a 5 speed.
The adapter kit: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/17809/AX15
Obviously it'll cost more and will require more effort but it's an option, that will bolt up to the Dana 20.

As for the T-150 and Dana 20, I rebuilt my first one ever with minimal tools sitting on the garage floor on some cardboard. No special setup needed, they're just fiddley.
If you take a look at what you have and compare it to that crusty one you'll see how it fits back together. You probably have it rebuilt already it's just the gears, tabs, synchro's, etc. are probably just not aligned when you go to stuff the ends back in.

I recall mine doing the same thing, pushing the end out. If I recall mine was due to the needle bearings falling outa place. You can use vaseline to hold the needle bearings in place to reassemble it, if you find that's what it is. Vaseline wont effect the oil it's actually a recommended procedure. Also use a bunch cause even then the needle bearings want to fall outa place. A trick I use is once I get the needle bearings in place I take canned air and flip it upside down, when you spray it, it'll spray out freezing coolant, I use it to make the vaseline thick/gel'd so it'll help keep those damn things in place during reassembly.

Got the transmission back from the shop today and noticed the rear seal was still in my box of parts I left with them. I've heard of people removing it so the transmission and transfer case can share oil. I didn't really wanting it to share but also don't want to separate the two and install it.

Didn't know if anyone had experience with letting them share oil

I was afraid of that so I pulled them about installed it and rvt the to back together with its gasket.

Go it up and going again last night now on the the next issues.

"Go it up and going again last night now on [to] the next issues."

Fun times for sure.:banana:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom