T-5 vs AX15 transmission differences

T-5 vs AX15 transmission differences

OEM1984CJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 258 w/T176
Anyone know the difference between the T5 and AX15 transmissions? Will the AX15 fit a CJ7 with 258 and dana300? Jeep tech states the T5 is light duty and the AX15 med duty but wanting to know about installation differences if any? I found a AX15 that came out of a 1990 YJ with less than 50k miles that I can get for a good price.

thanks.:D

The AX15 never came on a CJ with a Dana 300 TCase. They only came on YJs with the NP231 transfer case. So you would need an adapter for that end. Here is one from Novak:
Dana 300 Adaptation and Clocking Ring
kit_153.jpg
Plus the front is different too. Here's the AX15:
ax15_transmission.jpg
Note the oval front.
Here's a T5:
t4_novak.jpg

Okay, I lied. it's actually a T4 but the T5 has the same case just has an overdrive.
So to mount a AX15 you will need the bellhousing from the YJ. You will need to convert to a hydraulic clutch. There are other changes too. Check out this link: Adapting the AX15 Transmission to AMC Jeep Engines

So it's a bit of work but it's well worth it. The AX15 is a great improvement over the T5.

where to start? First off I dont know much abot the T-5 other then what I hear about them.. and thats nothing good.

The ax-15 has a torque rating close to 250Lbs or maybe a little bit more. They shift very smooth, will bolt right to the back of a 258, use the NP circle pattern so a Dana 300 "should" bolt right up.. Only reason the should is there is you may have to clock it a little.. or not. Most of the time Ive seen a 300 put on a ax-15 its on a YJ and they have to be turned.

There are 2 main versions of the ax-15. One has a internal slave and one has an external slave. I think the 90 has an internal slave.. The biggest problem with the internal slaves is that if iy goes bad you have to drop the whole trans to replace. Obviously external is just 2 bolts and swap so they are more desirable. Now we all know that More desirable means more expensive. Ive seen just the bell housing and parts for the external sell local and ebay for over $100. IF I had to install a internal slave ax-15 I would do it... and keep my eye open for the stuff to swap it out next time the slave goes bad.

The other difference is the tip size on the input shaft. If its out of a Yj with a 258 it should have the small tip, when you buy your clutch set up it should have the roller bearing for it. The ones that came from a 4.0 had a larger tip. you can still use it but the bearings in the kit wont work. You need one from some thing like a 79 CJ with a 304.. its a bronze bushing instead of a roller bearing. the 90 I believe will have the smaller tip

Oh.. I just thought of a third difference. If the trans came out of a 4 cylinder motor there a high probability that it has a 21 spline output instead of the 23 that you need for a dana 300.. Now there are some random instances of a 23 spline ax-15 being found behind a 4cyl.. Ive looked at aprox 30 ax-15s so far and have never found one.

To find alot more info on this google ba-10 to ax-15 swaps. I would also look at swapping a pedal set from a standard YJ into a CJ. unless the T-5 uses a hydraulic clutch. I did this same swap with a friends 89 YJ with the 258 and with exception of 1 hose bracket and the reverse light switch it was very easy and painless.

theres my .02. I am not a ax-15 swap master but if you have any question please feel free to ask.

I see Me and Busa were typing away at the same time. The AA clocking ring is really only needed if the 300 hangs in the wrong position. its needed what flipping the 300 to the passenger side to swap into a YJ. If it were me I would but the ax-15 if the price is good, borrow a dana 300 and see how it fits prior to purchasing the adapter. If your going to get the trans make sure it comes with the bell housing.

Ive never put an ax-15 onto a CJ 258 but from what I hear a 258 is a 258 whether ita a CJ or YJ as far as bell housing patterns go.

Ive seen several thongs that AA sells adapters for that have not been needed..

The AX-15 is a Light duty transmission from Peugeot (sp?). Don't think you be any better off then a Borg-Warner T-5.

Yes, my mistake. I stand corrected. The first tranny that Chrysler put in their Wranglers was the light duty Peugeot BA10. The AX15 replaced it a couple years later.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks