T-5 Transmission: Internal part for Reverse Lights?

T-5 Transmission: Internal part for Reverse Lights?

Daddy Stew

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ8 - 258ci, 4.2L w/Weber carb, Borg-Warner TREMEC T-5 Trans, Axles are Superior one piece w/Lock Rite, Gear Ratio 4:10, 4" Spring Lift, 33" x 12.5" x 15" BFGoodrich on Mickey Thompson Classic,
Hi-Lift Extreme, Clevis D-Rings, Custom Roll cage and transmisison rock guard
I am a recent owner of a restored CJ8 and when trying to get it street legal, I found the Reverse Lights didn't work. I tested the two-prong switch and it was good. When I jump the contacts, the lights appear, so I am wondering what part inside the tranny is responsible for depressing the ball bearing in the switch to close the circuit? I can only assume it was left out or not placed properly during a rebuild. ANY help would be appreciated!

I'm not positive what exactly depresses the switch but I believe it is the item I marked in red on the shift rail. I would give Novak a call to be sure.

attachment.php

Attachments

• t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 8,290
I dont know for sure but it sounds like the switch is bad, try taking it out of the trannie and push it manualy. i bet it wont work. Hope its that simple. Good luck.

I dont know for sure but it sounds like the switch is bad, try taking it out of the trannie and push it manualy. i bet it wont work. Hope its that simple. Good luck.
I would pull the switch and bench test it.

There is a lever (part of the reverse shifting setup) that closes that switch
The lever is shown on the above posted diagram above number 14 and below and left of 2A.

If you are shifting into reverse then that lever should be working correctly.

If I recall correctly;
To test the switch in the transmission check for continuity between the poles with a multi meter. It should be open when not in reverse and closed when in reverse.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks