T-5 to T176 swap

T-5 to T176 swap

bdpalace

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7 Laredo, 4.3L Vortec, T5, Dana 300, 1 piece posi rear axle
Can you switch out a T-5 with a T-176 without a new bellhousing? I read the bolt pattern on a T-5 (butterfly) only matches 3 of the 4 bolts on the T176, but have also seen posts about switching a T-4 (same bolt pattern as the T-5) with a T176. So what's the real deal?

I currently have a T-5 mated to an unknown bellhousing that is connected to a Chevy 4.3L and have been offered a a T176 for next to nothing. If it will bolt straight up, then it's a no-brainer...I'll snatch up the T176. If not, I've gotta decide if I want a huge paperweight sitting around the garage until I swap it in.

I currently don't have any issues with the T-5, but have read that they are prone to issues and will eventually fail. If I get the T-176 as a back-up, I just want to know what additional costs I'll be looking at to install the T-176.

Thanks for the help!

The T5 is longer than the T176, so plan on lengthening/shortening the drive shafts.

Make sure the trans comes with the OEM D300 adapter.

Figured I'd try here before staring my own tread. Just picked up a T176 and had a few question.i did get it bell to adapter and got some shafts in the works. What else do I need? Like the reverse switch? I got a twin stick so what boot? Just look for some who's done the swap for some info. Thanks..hope to tackle the install soon

And is the stick usually very wobbly on these???

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks