T-5 Synchro's Question

T-5 Synchro's Question

marculan

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 258, 68 Camaro RS 327, 65 ERA FIA Cobra Replica, 93 Spec Miata
I’m rebuilding a T-5 from an 85 CJ and I’m not sure if my rebuild kit came with the right parts. Of the 6 synchro’s in the kit, 2 are smaller diameter and clearly for 5th gear. I think I only need 1 here, but the kit came with 2. Of the other 4 rings, they are all the right diameter for 1/2 and 3/4 but one of them is a tenth of an inch or so thinner than the others.

I can't figure out how to post a picture, but imagine one ring that doesn't cover the entire tapered part of the gear, while the other rings cover the entire tapered part.
Is this correct, to have one ring that is thinner than the others, or did I just get the wrong part? If it is supposed to be this way, which gear would it be used on?

Thanks,
Marc

I’m rebuilding a T-5 from an 85 CJ and I’m not sure if my rebuild kit came with the right parts. Of the 6 synchro’s in the kit, 2 are smaller diameter and clearly for 5th gear. I think I only need 1 here, but the kit came with 2. Of the other 4 rings, they are all the right diameter for 1/2 and 3/4 but one of them is a tenth of an inch or so thinner than the others.

I can't figure out how to post a picture, but imagine one ring that doesn't cover the entire tapered part of the gear, while the other rings cover the entire tapered part.
Is this correct, to have one ring that is thinner than the others, or did I just get the wrong part? If it is supposed to be this way, which gear would it be used on?

Thanks,
Marc

I have a T5 and have done this rebuild too. Not too difficult. Without being right in front of the transmission it would be hard to direct you. I would recommend you go to “High Performance Transmissions on face book. The guy that runs this site is Paul Congialosi. He is a genius on the T5 and he will respond to your posts. Also, there are two very good YouTube videos at Eric the Car Guy in which Paul takes you through the process of disassembly and reassembly of the T5. BTW, is your tranny a world class or non world class. There are slight differences.

Thanks for the response. I actually figured it out because the size of the tab on the 3/4 syncros is smaller than the 1/2, so it became clear which one went where. My tranny is non-world class. The video you mention is the exact same one that I have used. I practically know it by heart by now!

Thanks for the response. I actually figured it out because the size of the tab on the 3/4 syncros is smaller than the 1/2, so it became clear which one went where. My tranny is non-world class. The video you mention is the exact same one that I have used. I practically know it by heart by now!

Awesome! Good luck.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks