t-5 implace of a t-150

t-5 implace of a t-150

raser13

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ-5 '83 amc 258 straight six, motorcraft 2100 carb ,inline fuel pump, 1000 cca battery ,T-175 tranny,
hey guys, i'm looking at getting a CJ8/scrambler that has a three speed T-150 and a Dana 20. i know that a ford t-5 should bolt up to the bell housing with no problem. and i know i have to change the clutch disk out.

but will it bolt straight to the dana transfer case? or is there an adapter that i would have to get? or is there a certain vehicle that i would need to get the t-5 out of? or will i have to swap the t-case as well?

there's nothing wrong with the T-150. i just want to have more gears in the jeep for highway driving. so i'm not running the motor at five grand at 70 mph.

thanks for looking guys, and for any info.

Last edited:
What gearing does your Scrambler have in it now? Many Scramblers had 3.31's from the factory. Generally speaking it would be a bad idea to put a t-5 behind a V8. A T-5 just won't take the power. With 31" tires and a V8 your scrambler will move along at 2400 rpm @ 65 mph.

i'm looking at getting a CJ8/scrambler that has a three speed T-150 and a Dana 20.
Just so we are on the same page: Someone has swapped in that combination. CJ8's would have had either the T176, T4, or T5 OEM. Or an automatic. And the Dana 300 transfer case.

i know that a ford t-5 should bolt up to the bell housing with no problem. and i know i have to change the clutch disk out.
What Ford T5 are you talking about? The World Class T5 is a different animal than the one AMC used in the CJ's. 'Way back when' there used to be a company that offered a WC T5 for swap into a CJ. Jeep T5 5 Speed Transmission Page. But it looks like that is no longer available. If you are considering a transmission swap to an overdrive model, I'd be thinking something else.

but will it bolt straight to the dana transfer case? or is there an adapter that i would have to get? or is there a certain vehicle that i would need to get the t-5 out of? or will i have to swap the t-case as well?
Won't bolt to a Dana 20 transfer case without an adapter. Check with Novak or Advance Adapters to see what they have. But I'd still be thinking about a different transmission.

i just want to have more gears in the jeep for highway driving. so i'm not running the motor at five grand at 70 mph.
First off, you need to get the 'numbers' down:

Tire size
Axle ratio
Final drive ratio
Engine RPM 'sweet spot'

Run them through this calculator:
Gear Ratio Calculator

Then look into these 5 speed manual transmissions:
NV4500
NV3500
AX-15

All 5 speeds with Overdrive 5th gears. Of the three, the heaviest duty is the NV4500. The NV3500 and AX-15 are medium duty transmissions, but should be fine behind a mild V8. In a CJ8 there is sufficient drive shaft length to accommodate longer transmissions. There are a few other 5 speeds, but the above are the most popular (aftermarket support).

How about an overdrive automatic? Lots of viable choices for them. I wish there was enough driveshaft length in my CJ5, because it would of had an AOD mated to a Dana 300, behind the Ford 5.0L.

JeepCJ5.jpg

Last edited:
i was thinking of the world class ford t-5. as the amc t-5s are a little hard to come by. which is why i've had to go with a ford one in my javelin. i had a feeling that the trans/t-case was a swap in. the CJ8 is an 82 and my CJ5 is an 80 and it has the 176/300 combo.

this rig isn't going to be a trail monster so a more medium duty set up should work. pretty much the 304 will be bone stock. so it won't be generating much more power than a 258. i might be going with a hopped up 258. haven't decided yet really. maybe even go for a fuel injection 4.0L don't know. i'll decide more in the next couple of weeks, once i really get into this rig.

the five is becoming more of the "toy"and this will be the more street/light trail set up. are the transmissions you mentioned available in other vehicles? i'm all about junk yard finds and deals. i don't mind rebuilding. will they bolt up to the Dana 20 or 300 directly or will they require an adapter? or will i need a different t-case for those.

i haven't got the numbers quite yet. i'll be picking this up later this afternoon from the guy i'm buying int from. i'll start figuring things out more solid then. i was kinda jumping the gun asking questions this early. but the new jeep planning excitement kind of taken over my brain,

Nothing wrong with planning, most of my posts her eon this forum are planning. Rob at Willys Works here in Tucson has a very nicely rebuilt T-5 sitting in his shop right now. He built it and a T-4 for shop stock. He's got a price that can't be beaten, Look on Tucson's Craigslist under CJ Jeep Parts, he's asking $650 for the transmission. I was there when he was working on the T-5, it looks and performs like new.

Get a pencil and paper ready for notes, and give these guys a call.
https://www.novak-adapt.com/

What R&P will you run with what tire size?
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks