Swapping Transmissions

Swapping Transmissions

ZionJeeps

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 304, 3-Speed, Dana 300, building in progress....
I have taken on a few jeep projects and this site, forum, and users have been a massive assest to me; thank you all who have answered my questions so far.

Here goes the next question.

I have an 81' CJ7 258, 4-speed, Dana 300, and a 83' CJ7, 304, 3-speed, dana 300.

the 81' I am putting an Automatic into over the next few weeks.

The 3 speed in the 83' is worn out and needs work.

I am wondering if I can put the 4-speed into the 83'.

Questions are super helpful for me, I am trying to learn as much as possible.

Thanks for all the Help!

Rob

p.s. I will start a thread with pics about the projects soon!

The short answer is “yep”. The bell housings will interchange between all of the AMC I6 & V8s so just swap the bell housing, clutch system, and transmission from one to the other. Both should be Dana 300 transfer cases.

and for the long answer; find out which 4 speed you have. If it is the T176 then go ahead with this. If it is the SR4 or T4 then the V8 will likely wreck the tranny.

I had an 81 CJ5 with 258 and a 4speed and it was the T176 so I'm thinking you have the good 4 speed (heck, you might even have the even better T18!). Easy way to tell is the shifter location. The T176 has the shifter on the top cover of the case, the other two have a shifter at the back of the Tranny.

Look here: The Novak Conversions Transmission Information Gateway

just hover over the names for a pic of the transmission.

I'm confused by this jeep:
83' CJ7, 304, 3-speed, dana 300
The 304 wasn't available in '83. It must have been swapped in there. And CJs never had 3 speeds mounted to the Dana 300. The 3 speed must have been adapted to fit the Dana 300. Are we sure that's a Dana 300? I would think this swap would have been much easier if the PO too the whole driveline from a '70s jeep and put it in that CJ.
The rear of the Dana 20 looks like the Dana 300. Look at how the shift linkage is attached. The Dana 20 has a tubular bar sticking out the front of the transfer case. This bar is held on by 2 square head bolts on the Dana 20. The shift lever attaches to that.
13056d1360329081-swapping-transmissions-dana-20.jpg
The Dana 300 has 2 tabs on the front that the shift linkage mounts on.
Chasis87.jpg

Dana 300
If you have a Dana 20 TCase then you have the drivetrain of a '70s jeep and the 4 speed you have won't fit without a lot of work. I would get a Jeep t18.

Attachments

• Dana 20.jpg
    Dana 20.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,705
Busa you have been a huge help!

This jeep is confusing me as well:

I looked up the numbers and it did originally come with a 258 with a 5 speed. Nothing on the jeep seems to be matching up well at this point; and I am getting a steep learning curve.

As for the Swap it is going well at this point; I already had a Dana 300 attached to the 4 speed, so that has simplified the swap quite a bit.

Thanks,

Rob

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks