Steering wheel play

Steering wheel play

Vesuvio

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7
Why the “play” in the upper part of the drive shaft?
Video attached
Thanks

:wtf:

LG

Can’t post the video. It’s the steering rod u joint. Is it something that a regular auto parts store has, or you have to order it on line?
Special tools to remove it?
Thanks

Can’t post the video. It’s the steering rod u joint. Is it something that a regular auto parts store has, or you have to order it on line?
Special tools to remove it?
Thanks

Honestly, you'd be much better off to just go ahead and replace the entire shaft.

The factory one left a whole lot to be desired to begin with, coupled with the fact that it's now approaching 40 years old. The aftermarket replacements (i.e. Borgeson, Flaming River) are much better in terms of quality and construction.

Are they standard, or different ones; auto part stores or online ?
Thanks

Vehicle specific...also dependent on manual vs power steering

If you're not comfortable tackling it, you may want to consider having a front end shop do it. They can take a look at the rest of the steering components that may also need attention while it's in there...ball joints, tie rod ends, etc...and check alignment, toe-in and caster.

I'd highly recommend it from the safety standpoint...particularly if you're having issues with wandering, bumpsteer, etc.

My entire steering column was falling apart, causing a dangerous amount of wheel play. Everything from the output shaft to the upper column was junk. That GM upper tilt column is the biggest turd I've ever seen. All the inner workings were plastic. I didn't have the time to fix it myself, so I found a shop that's installing a new custom output shaft and upper steering column. Its a lot of money, but the last thing I want is to be driving on the highway and a u-joint breaks. I should be getting my CJ5 back next week. I'll let you know if it fixed the wheel play problem.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks