Steering Steering Box Recommendations

Steering Steering Box Recommendations

aglinks

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘83 CJ7, 4.8L Vortec, TF999, D300, AMC20, D30
What steering box manufacturers have you all tried/recommend. There is a wide variety available at a wide variety of costs. I am looking at PSC, AGR, Redhead, and BlueTop. Any of those worth the money? Maybe a different brand? Mine has a lot of play. 1983 CJ7, power steering, 33's.

Probably more coin than you need to spend as opposed to a new Saginaw, unless you're going hydro assist.

The box is usually farther down the culprit list as compared to the other components, if you're having issues, that is.

That said, PSC and AGR probably have the biggest following.
Any of those worth the money?

The PSC runs eight and a half bones...

I can move the wheel back and forth and watch the play in the box. Everything else is tight. And yeah I would rather not spend that much money on the jeep lol

A stock saginaw reman should be fine for 33's.
Its pretty easy to adjust the play out of the old ones though. Front wheels off the ground. Use a drift to loosen the lock nut on the steering shaft. Set the bearing preload on the steering shaft like a wheel bearing, just a little past snug. Tighten the lock nut. Then you can set the lash on the sector gear. This is accessed through the hole in the front cross member. break the lock nut loose, then use a hex wrench to adjust. Adjust until you feel a little drag as the steering passes through center. Tighten the lock nut.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom