Steering Box Input Shaft Play

Steering Box Input Shaft Play

Neuner

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
"Oscar":1985 CJ7, 4.0 '98 OBDII, T177, RE 4.5" lift w/ CV Jnts, Dana 300, Dana 30 and AMC 20, 33" BFG KO2s, Raptor Lined Interior and Rustoleum BBQ exterior.
I have minor steering play and I've traced it down to what I think is the steering box input shaft. I'm assuming I need to replace it to get rid of the gap?

In my online searches I came across a J20 steering box swap but it appeared to be for manual steering and some type of joint conversion to get a power-steering CJ to work with it?

I don't need a heavier duty steering box but I think I read that it is variable ratio which would be cool if that is true.

It is 'normal' for there to be a small amount of center 'play'. The spec with a 15" steering wheel is roughly 1 - 2" free movement at the rim of the steering wheel...If you are having more movement than that, SOME adjustment can be made at the box to reduce the play. Most places will tell you to replace the box, but that's the politics of shop time and training...Read up in your FSM about the procedure to adjust it yourself.

Neuner, my '80 CJ7 was a western rock-crawler with 35's ...... steering had much wear.

Major improvements when I replaced

lower steering column bearing (there wasn't one)
Two-piece steering box mount with a hvy 1-piece
worn-out OEM steering shaft (all bearings were dry powdered rust, no metal left).

I still have worn-out tierod ends, but that is next.

Tight steering is a compound of every thing between the rubber that touches the road, and your skin that touches the steering wheel. Each improvement is an incremental reduction in steering slop.

Keep after it!

Thanks for the input. I guess the play I have is normal then. Just as you described, about 1" at the grip. Gets hairy when I'm inbetween cars going down the highway and the wind is just right in making me 'S' down the lane.

I've looked at everything and the only play appears to be at the input shaft of the box. I've re-packed and tightened the wheel bearings, reviewed the tie-rods, etc. Was starting to read up on the H1 box direct swap and heavily considering it for the variable ratio and just to see if it would tighten it up a little more.

The last thing that gets replaced on a steering system is the steering box after everything else is inspected. If you do need to do that, I would recommend getting yours professionally rebuilt. Somewhere in this forum a guy posted how to check all the componets.

Neuner, I believe you are right about both the J20 and H1 boxes being var. ratio.

Neuner, I believe you are right about both the J20 and H1 boxes being var. ratio.

Thanks. That upgrade is one of the reason's why I think I'm just going to replace it anyway. From what I've read, the H1 is a direct replacement and the J20 requires a coupler for my year.

Looked at it further and the play appears to be more at the existing steering shaft to box connection. I believe a couple PO's ago, my CJ was restored and the steering column appears newer and in really good shape. I think it was the last PO going through a divorce and beating the hell out of it that did all the damage that I've been encountering.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks