starter problems

starter problems

acemanrb

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 cj7 304 v8 i believe Dana trans
starter continues to engage when key is out. replaced starter,solenoid neutral safety switch.running out of Ideas. Some one said switch out starter switch on column. Any ideas before i go nuts?

Ace

You might want to try a remote starter switch to rule out the steering column components. Ours is a heavy push button (momentary) with big alligator clips on the ends. Connect it in the engine bay to engage the starter and see what happens then. Good luck!

To start, check the small wire on your starter solenoid when the starter stays engaged. If you have power to this wire with the key off, then the problem lies farther up stream like the starter key switch. As OJL mentioned, you can use a starter push button switch and connect to the battery side of the solenoid and the small terminal on the solenoid. If the starter engages and disengages when you push the button, the problem also lies upstream of the solenoid. You can also cross these 2 terminals with a screwdriver if you don't have a switched jumper with a button. I have had a couple of times where I replaced the solenoid with a new one only to have the same problem. I eliminated all other possibilities, and found out that the new solenoid was defective. You have to remember that the only way for power to get to the starter is through the solenoid, so if the starter is staying engaged, it is getting power through the solenoid, not the starter itself. My feeling is that you just got a bad solenoid.

:agree: 110% with the above 2 posts.

LG

So my daughter brought her CJ back with a starting issue. The starter wanted to stay engaged during the crank cycle. I replaced the ignition switch on the column and thought we fixed it for a week or so, then it repeated the original issue. Rather than pull the steering wheel to replace the lock cylinder I installed a push button. So far, no resurfacing issues. Since this appears to have worked I'm not likely to address the lock cylinder.

And then.... wait for it.....I recently brought home my 3rd CJ project and it is doing the exact same thing. So since it is a 78 model I'm thinking that is a lot of on/off/start cycles on the lock cylinder. My intentions is to pull the steering wheel this time and replace the cylinder. FYI, if you elect this option it takes a special tool. O'Reilly's and others should have it. There's also a good vid on YouTube I wasn't smart enough to save it, but the dude is working on Cherokee. You'll know it when you see it.

You realise that if the column has a lock cylinder it has rod that goes to a switch that is on top of the column under the dash. The switch is probably out of alignment or worn out. I would try to adjust it first, usually has 2 screws holding it to the column.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks