Spartan locker for Dana 30?

Spartan locker for Dana 30?

El Jeep o

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7, 258, T5, AMC20,D3O0,D30,Moser axle,4:56,MC2100,HEI,33" MT/R,2.5" SPRING CONVERSION
Thoughts on the Spartan locker for my front diff. (Dana 30)

And correct me if i'm wrong but with the hubs unlocked, the locker should not engage/disengage at all...right?

What have you in the rear diff?
FWIW: I run D/L's front and rear.
Correct-Can't work if hubs unlocked.
LG

open in the rear for now, i want a selectable for the rear. was thinking lunchbox would be good for front since it will only work with hubs locked...so in that sense it kinda is a selectable locker...kinda sorta

Yes-Detroit Lockers(D/L), front and rear diffs.
LG

open in the rear for now, i want a selectable for the rear. was thinking lunchbox would be good for front since it will only work with hubs locked...so in that sense it kinda is a selectable locker...kinda sorta

Get the rear done first.
LG

I am quite sure Posi is running Spartan lockers front and rear on his 77 CJ7 he uses for the forum trail rides, Colorado and Moab. Dana 30 and AMC20, and he crawls some difficult obstacles. I even helped install one.

i have a lunch box in the front ive run that for years now with no issues the rear im going to get a posi. i know its not a true locker but since my jeep is on road as much if not more than off the posi is better suited for that plus the slight slippage i get between disk engagements off road isnt enough for me to notice. the strictly off road rig im building will have selectibles front and rear.

LSD is a very good choice for 'snow-country', on or off road.
LG

so all and all, if I go with the brand Sparten from USA gear. i wouldn't be making a mistake?

I can agree that living in snow country an lsd to be a good choice, but would have to suggest a quality unit at least. I had a Powerloc once and it just didn't cut it, so I went with a switchable locker for big bucks. From what I have read New Mexico has some awsome wheeling areas.

Edit: BusaDave wrote an article a while back that might be of some help:https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/lockers-limited-slip-differentials-12434/

Last edited:
so all and all, if I go with the brand Sparten from USA gear. i wouldn't be making a mistake?

With the Sparten-You depend(pray)the stock carrier can hold up.
With a Detroit Locker, you will never need to worry.
LG

With the Sparten-You depend(pray)the stock carrier can hold up.
With a Detroit Locker, you will never need to worry.
LG
Ok Lumpy you almost got me convinced to go with the D/L. i dont like breaking stuff on the ol' jeep and ive had others tell me a lsd is more "gentle" on components. what about the set up or install should i say?

Gear pattern and backlash check will be the same for any new carrier.
If you have not done R&P work-Get a pro to do, it and watch what he does.
I say that as someone who has 50+ yrs experience setting up R&P's.
Would also be a good time to replace the front axle U-joints and axle seals.
Still-I'd do the rearend, before the front.
A D/L in the back end does takes a bit to get use to.
LG

Ok Lumpy you almost got me convinced to go with the D/L. i dont like breaking stuff on the ol' jeep and ive had others tell me a lsd is more "gentle" on components. what about the set up or install should i say?

And if you go this rout stay off snow covered streets or you will find your back end wanting to pass the front end.

I'm a bit late to the party on this thread, so I apologize. But you might consider a Truetrac. Shares the benefits of an LSD with the true locking of a typical locker, but with out the noise or unpredictability of some other offerings.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks