southwest Montana's Tobacco Root Mountains

southwest Montana's Tobacco Root Mountains

duffer

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B: Dart/AFR aluminum 441 sbc, AGE M22W trans, "super" D18 w/ TeraLows & OD, FF44 PowrLoc Rear, D44 front-ARB/Reid/Dutchman, 4 wheel discs, York OBA, PP welder, 8274, glass/aluminum body, 33-12.5's;

1968 CJ5: all stock (V6/T86/D18) except 4bbl & headers and rear aux tank, HD rear 44 housing, Warn OD, Belleview winch;

2012 JKU Rubicon: Warn 9.5xp-s in Warn Elite, RSE rear bumper/tire carrier, Mopar lift, 35-12.5's, ARB OBA;

1947 2A and 49 3A that may or may not get built, and several FC/wagon derelicts
This post is an updated version of that I posted on Early CJ5 a couple years back. These mountains have been my favorite sandbox since I was a little kid many, many decades back a I feel very lucky to be living next door.
View of east flank, Lady of the Lake Peak/Mount Bradley on left, Hollowtop Mountain on right. Taken from my place about 30 miles east with Gallatin Valley in the middle.
14441705853_8bd6f39db8_b.jpg

South Meadow Creek, FS 1221. N45° 27.606', W111° 52.188' McAllister access off US 287. My stock JK Rubicon has no problems with it, but a couple of spots you need to pick the line well. Piece of cake for the 3B on 33's. Another trail (6361) branches to the north after the Missouri/McKee mine/mill and tops out on the ridge at South Baldy Mountain (10,105') with a loop option to take Trail 6362 back to the Washington Creek Road.
South Meadow Lake
IMG_5632.jpg
Missouri/McKee ruins
IMG_4299.jpg

North Meadow Creek, FS 965/6338/6340. N45° 30.817', W111° 47.579' McAllister access or take Warm Springs Creek road over the Revenue Flats from Norris (US 287, MT 84). You might get a stock JK/TJ up these but highly likely they will not look too good after the run. Lots of boulders and tight spots and I'm going to say lockers and/or winch necessary but rewards are some great scenery. Lakes include Upper and Lower Twin Lakes, McKelvey, Cliff, Mine (on some maps Alpine), and Kid Lakes.
Lower Twin Lake
IMG_2378.jpg
Upper Twin
IMG_2237.jpg
Cliff Lake
IMG_2327.jpg
Un-named lake
14035562369_7c9c185904_b.jpg
14035671297_89f9f3813b_b.jpg

N. Meadow to S. Willow Creek, FS160, N45° 32.174', W111° 52.110' McAllister access. Only a couple miles of real Jeep trail-very steep and can get pretty muddy. A lot of gravel and semi-Jeep road on both ends.
14355708860_7215cda6e0_b.jpg
Top of divide between N. Meadow and S. Willow Creek-above Sureshot Lakes.
14541437992_b9ea5f4379_b.jpg

South Boulder River, FS 107. N45° 48.187', W111° 55.570' Cardwell access off I 90. Twenty something miles of gravel with about 4 miles good Jeep trail to Sailor Lake trail head (1/4 mile hike to lake-Trail 7140, another 1/4 mile hike to Globe Lake, and maybe 1.5 mile hike (Trail 7167) to Brannan Lakes. Hiking access to Louise, Curly and Lost Cabin Lakes also off this road. Road passes through the old Mining town of Mammoth.
Upper and Lower Brannan Lakes
IMG_4259.jpg
Curly Lake
IMG_2452.jpg
Sailor Lake-Mount Jackson
14609544011_df4ff33953_b.jpg
G bear sow/cubs at Globe Lake
14589764106_cd2727bd1d_b.jpg

Mill Creek-Branham Lakes, FS 111, Sheridan access from US 287. FS 111 is a graded, maintained road and when snow free, doesn't require 4x4. Two developed campgrounds are along this route (Mill Creek and Balanced Rock) as is the Smuggler Mine which remains at least semi-active. A short 1.5 mile hike from the trailhead at Branham Lakes to Gneiss Lake.

Gneiss Lake/Legget Mountain
14632612493_27896a2e44_b.jpg
Miner cabin remains, S. Fork Mill Creek
9597229397_1af51f3980_b.jpg

Wisconsin Creek/Noble Fork, FS 6370/8300/6015. N45° 27.585', W112° 11.836' Sheridan access from US 287. Another very scenic area with several lakes, including Crystal, Jackson, Sunrise, Noble, and Blossom. The only one you can directly drive to is Noble Lake. Stock Jeep can probably make all trails but on some reaches of the Noble Fork trail a little more clearance is highly desirable and there is one decent mud hole where lockers make life a little easier.
Noble Lake
IMG_5254.jpg
Blossom Lake
IMG_5217.jpg
Mustard Pass (above Blossom Lake)-Rossiter Lake in background.
11674417854_7938fba8a4_b.jpg

Dry Boulder Creek/Boulder Lakes, FS 1007. N45° 35.845', W112° 14.832' Twin Bridges access. Cake walk into lower Boulder Lake but trail from Lower to Upper Boulder Lake has a couple shelf's where you will want lockers on both ends or you will be running line.
Upper Boulder Lake
IMG_1191.jpg

Indian Creek, FS 158. N45° 27.606', W112° 09.853' Sheridan access. Not too challanging but again, nice scenery. Used to be able to drive into Rossiter Lake but FS rebuilt the last 3 to 4 miles of trail for hiking only. Hill Reservoir (breached?-have seen no water in it for a number of years), Taylor Lake (swamp), Oval and Triangle Lakes (both small but nice) also up this drainage.
Rossiter Lake
IMG_1216.jpg

Pony/Windy Pass/N. Willow/Cataract Creek. N45° 39.540', W111° 54.232' Many, many prospects and old mines, along with several remains of small mills. Some of this burned summer 2012 and I am not sure what is now open. Cataract Lake is a drive to, Upper and Lower Mason Lakes not much of a hike, but not much for lakes either.
Upper Mason Lake
IMG_2870.jpg

Last edited:
wow! :notworthy:

Thats some nice scenery and great lakes!

:chug: :drool:

Breathtaking! Thanks Duffer. Athough I have often wondered about camping in Grizzly country, Black Bears seem to be a lot easier to deal with.

Beautiful pics, 4wheeling and fishing high mountain lakes doesn't get any better than that. And to see a grizzly with cubs WOW. Thanks for sharing :notworthy:

And to see a grizzly with cubs WOW.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind not seeing those. It was windy and we were down wind of the bears. The sow came lumbering down to the lake and was taking a drink when the dogs finally caught a whiff of them and all hell broke loose. Mind you, my wife was only about 150' from them at that point. It seemed like eternity, but the sow was standing upright, looked at my wife, and then me and the dogs and finally dropped and ran. The whole episode maybe 10 seconds long. I could have gotten a lot better picture but my shutter tripping finger was on something else until they decided to exit.

Beautiful pic's, looks like a great time. :drool:

Thanks! Nice job

Unnamed lake - how about Duffer lake? Got my vote. :D

Man, I'm not too far north of you. I'm going to have to come down for a visit!! Beautiful! I know that feeling being too close to a grizzly, in an open top jeep. Not a comfortable one!

Beautiful scenery and beautiful pictures. What month of the year was that?

Beautiful scenery and beautiful pictures. What month of the year was that?
Those photos range from late June through early October and were taken over several years. Hitting all those areas in one trip would take a few weeks.

Those photos range from late June through early October and were taken over several years. Hitting all those areas in one trip would take a few weeks.

Duffer, I'd like to come down on a weekend, if you guys have a trip planned! Just want to see some of that country this summer!! Amazing! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duffer, I'd like to come down on a weekend, if you guys have a trip planned! Just want to see some of that country this summer!! Amazing! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

I'm just kinda curious GT, if you are going to do that on a weekend how far away you are from that area? Interesting for sure

I get 4 days off after working 10, so it would be possible to throw my boys in, drive down, be there Friday afternoon and then head back kn the Monday. I'm in Red Deer, Alberta, only 6 hours off the border

I get 4 days off after working 10, so it would be possible to throw my boys in, drive down, be there Friday afternoon and then head back kn the Monday. I'm in Red Deer, Alberta, only 6 hours off the border

That would be a great trip. Montana, Colorado New Mexico and a few other areas up that way are on my bucket list in just a few years for a major back roads trip and those mountains west of you would not be that far out of the way. I'm thinking 6-8 weeks to get my fill

That would be a great trip. Montana, Colorado New Mexico and a few other areas up that way are on my bucket list in just a few years for a major back roads trip and those mountains west of you would not be that far out of the way. I'm thinking 6-8 weeks to get my fill

Any battime, any batplace!! this is the last summer/last year I really have to work my tail off. Before I was married, I used to take 4 months off every year. June, July, August, and September. And I mean to do it again, starting 2018. I'd love to show off our country up here!

Man that looks awesome maybe someday I can get out there

I'm just kinda curious GT, if you are going to do that on a weekend how far away you are from that area? Interesting for sure

From the east side, it's only about 30 miles. West side about 75 miles.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom