Engine Sniper VS Holley EFI

Engine Sniper VS Holley EFI

hoods5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ& Laredo
Hey Guys,

I'm going to invest in an EFI set up for my 85 CJ7 4.2. Does anyone have any opinions on the two below? Thanks

:welcome:

Both are good systems. The major difference is technology.
The Sniper is 2020's and the Howell is tried and proven (mostly off the shelf parts).
Since your in FL, CA CARB cert. isn't important for you but the Sniper is not CARB.
Sniper is self learning so any changes that you make engine wise will be able to be accommodated and you can to an extent make custom changes. The Howell system has to have the computer sent back for reprogramming.
I know people with both who are happy.

Both work with external fuel pumps but for longevity, in tank pumps are preferred due to cooling.

I did the Holley about 13 - 14 months ago with the in tank pump. In a completely rebuilt 4.2. Pretty satisfied and great improvement over a carb. I did go from a 4 cylinder amc 2.5 with Weber. A lot of people also like the Howell because parts are everywhere.

Agree with CJ on the Sniper - self learning and newer technology. But in terms of off-the-shelf parts, a possible issue. The Howell can't be tuned much by you and won't accommodate major engine changes without removal and reprogramming. However, I had a Sniper on my '77 CJ5 with the 304 V8 in it. Never would get right and I finally removed it and sent it back. So I know many have reported success and satisfaction with it, but that wasn't my personal experience. I also tried AFI and they suck. They use an old GM TBI setup from the early 90's with a custom programmed chip. Re-programming requires pulling logs and sending them in to have a new PROM burned each time. The system was a total failure and the owner there is terrible to work with. After numerous programming attempts (pulling and replacing PROMs) I tried to return the system. They refused and ripped me off a grand or so. I love my Edelbrock ProFlow setup. Way better in terms of tuning and self-programming; and worked first time straight out of the box. But I have a V8. Don't know what options Edelbrock may have for the straight 6.

If you don't plan on any major engine mods, the Howell is a tried and true proven system with standard off-the-shelf parts.

I love my sniper EFI on my 4.2 and I have installed several snipers on V8s of different sizes and makes as well. They actually work way better on a V8. I did find on my 4.2 that I had to run it a bit leaner as the center cylinders were just to rich. I didn't waste my time having it control timing as the headache isn't worth the extra gains. On a performance vehicle where every tenth counts sure.

Also I did inline pump (easier change out on the trails if need be) however on my wife's 79 CJ 7 with the 304 it's getting in tank.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Lol i actually currently have both systems, the Howell is simple parts store rebuildable but not self learning, doesn’t control timing and is gonna get harder to get custom chips for over time, the sniper is fun being able to control and adjust everything on the fly but any warranty work takes forever, it was 6 weeks for them to replace my ecu and i had to convert back to a carb to drive my ramcharger while i waited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol i actually currently have both systems, the Howell is simple parts store rebuildable but not self learning, doesn’t control timing and is gonna get harder to get custom chips for over time, the sniper is fun being able to control and adjust everything on the fly but any warranty work takes forever, it was 6 weeks for them to replace my ecu and i had to convert back to a carb to drive my ramcharger while i waited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've not had a warranty issue on any of the ones I installed but I have had to deal with tech support and they were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable.

puter smooter...don't want one, don't like-em, don't need-em. Give me a Carburetor any day
Something to be said about just turning on the key starting the Jeep and walking away when it's 5⁰ outside

I wanted EFI for the mountains and driving at some strange angles which my carb was not good at. Stalling and starting at strange angles with having to work 3 pedals with 2 feet I learned a few times wasn’t all that fun in precarious situations. Hopefully mr. Sniper helps with that :dung: .

Something to be said about just turning on the key starting the Jeep and walking away when it's 5⁰ outside
Agree. No matter the temps, easy starts. No choke. No feathering the throttle. And with my remote start, even better on those cold mornings. Just click the button on the remote from inside the house. Wait for it to get warm, then head out.

I wanted EFI for the mountains and driving at some strange angles which my carb was not good at. Stalling and starting at strange angles with having to work 3 pedals with 2 feet I learned a few times wasn’t all that fun in precarious situations. Hopefully mr. Sniper helps with that :dung: .
different needs dictate different solutions, totally understand, me personally, never had serious break angles to cause issues, my buddy used a marine carb and never had problems with angles. My carb with electric choke and HEI, never a cold issue start up. Properly tuned and quality carb setup, worked for many years. I know Fuel injection etc has some advantages, not bucking tech, just have no use for it, and a carb has never lleft me stranded, efi has. I do like some of the old school throttle body carbs though. But most of my vehicles have been V8's also.

Agree. No matter the temps, easy starts. No choke. No feathering the throttle. And with my remote start, even better on those cold mornings. Just click the button on the remote from inside the house. Wait for it to get warm, then head out.
My Jeep is lucky. Sits in my one car garage nice and toasty in winter and dry in the bad summer weather. The other newer cars are jealous. I keep telling them they will get their turn. NOT !

Hey Guys,

I'm going to invest in an EFI set up for my 85 CJ7 4.2. Does anyone have any opinions on the two below? Thanks

Hello,

I am looking for a shop in Miami Fl. that can install the sniper EFi on my 83 CJ7,
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Alfredo

My Jeep is lucky. Sits in my one car garage nice and toasty in winter and dry in the bad summer weather. The other newer cars are jealous. I keep telling them they will get their turn. NOT !
My 2015 Ram truck sits in the driveway. My wife's car is in the garage. My CJ stays in the shop (it's own garage) when not in use.

Hello,

I am looking for a shop in Miami Fl. that can install the sniper EFi on my 83 CJ7,
Alfredo
Unfortunately I don't know of anything down that far. Do your homework before just dropping it off. While the install is fairly simple and yes the system is self learning it can only learn within its set parameters. A quality shop should be able to do the installation and tuning or at least have access to someone who knows the tuning inside and out.

Hello,

Alfredo
That’s CJs backyard. He might have some ideas or contacts.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks