Short runs near Salida

Short runs near Salida

Oldguyinajeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ-7 258ci 4spd Dana 30 and 44
Howell TBI Fuel inj, Headers, Dual batteries, Warn winch/air compressor, rear
disc brake conversion, Detroit locker (rear), Eaton E-locker (front), 4:10 gears, 2.5 in Rancho lift, 1" body lift, fully armored, 35" BFG KM2s, Warn front hub conversions, line locks front and rear, roll cage, warn front bumper, rock hard rear bumper/tire carrier, DUI ignition, dual electric fans, LED rock lights
I'm gonna be in Salida Aug 11th for a run up Antero. We'll get into town around 3:00P on the 10th, so we could do a short trail before dark. Moderate to difficult would be preferred, but anything scenic would be fine, as well. I'd certainly appreciate any suggestions.

My suggestion is to go to the trails near St Elmo Ghost town.
I camped near there and there are lots of great trails all around.
Here's St Elmo Ghost town:
87StElmoLarge.jpg
The next few are all on Iron Chest Trail. You want something moderate to difficult this is a great trail. I love the rock crawling.
01IronChestTrailLarge.jpg

28IronChestTrailLarge.jpg

31IronChestTrailLarge.jpg

Then I camped next to the Iron Chest trail. It wouldn't have been possible because of the rocks if I didn't have my Cot Tent
34tentLarge.jpg
Another day I went up to Grizzly Lake. This was another great trail. The hardest part was right at the beginning. I think that's good. If you can't start the trail you have no right on the trail.
It was a rock ledge at the begining of the trail. I couldn't make it on my first try. I was spinning all 4 tires and slid back down the ledge. I got out and re-assessed the situation. I decided on a different path. After more burnt rubber I made it up. The rest of the trail wasn't as bad except for a long upslope. Lots of loose rocks, I used my locker but was worried about my old carbureted CJ5 dieing. I just wanted to stay moving.
GrizzlyLake47Large.jpg
Then when I made it to Grizzly Lake it was all worth it. I didn't think there was anyone around for miles. I didn't see anyone on the way up.
GrizzlyLake42Large.jpg
Then I heard voices. There was at least one fisherman accross the lake but it was extremely peaceful. I was hot, dirty, sweaty and stinky. I took a shower with my solar camp shower.
product1_52166_600x600.jpg

No, I did not have a hot chick to shower with. I found the above picture on the Internet. Yes, there is a shower in the above picture. Look again in the upper right.

... look again. Women may have a better chance finding the outdoor shower.

Last edited:
Almost every night I camped in a different spot.
In this next picture I took a trail that was better suited for ATVs.
84Large.jpg
I was there for a week but every night I camped near St. Elmo Ghost town. The only problem was going back to town to get gas. I brought an extra gas can. I actually started heading up Iron Chest Trail and noticed I didn't have enough gas to finish the trail. I said "gosh darn, golly gee (NOT my actual words but this is a family site). I headed back to town, got gas and continued on the trail.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks