Shackles angled out

Shackles angled out

1981cj7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7, 4.2L, SR4, D300, AMC20
So I finally finished the steering and suspension systems. I went with a BDS 2.5” lift, and Currie greasable shackles. The passenger side springs are not in line with the frame, they are angled out. I cannot figure out how to get them straight. Any ideas? The rear is worse than the front. Also, I backed off the nut to the rear passenger spring because when I torque it to BDS specs, the shackle starts bending. I’m assuming it’s because the angle is off, but this is my first spring job, so i don’t really have anything to go off of. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 79CAD4EC-6886-47B1-9AD9-42E776844921.jpg
    79CAD4EC-6886-47B1-9AD9-42E776844921.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 7D289238-6EFB-4F4B-9083-C0A99F9F7587.jpg
    7D289238-6EFB-4F4B-9083-C0A99F9F7587.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 104
Not uncommon or anything to worry about.
If you measure the center bolt hole spacing of the axle, and then measure the springs when vertical-You'll see it's from the axle hole spacing.
LG

Also, I backed off the nut to the rear passenger spring because when I torque it to BDS specs, the shackle starts bending.
Are you using aftermarket spring bushings? The OEM style will not work with the aftermarket shackles. And will cause the bending you're seeing.

Last edited:
i just went thru the same problem on mine and its what Lumpy is saying the hole spacing on the axle and rear spring mounts are off, I fixed mine by cutting the perches off the axle and moving them.

you could probably fix yours by slotting the holes in the mounts

I am using brand new bushings that came with the BDS kit
Still doesn't answer the question if they are OEM style or aftermarket style.

The OEM style bushings will be conical on the ends. Aftermarket style should be flat. This is due to the OEM shackles having 'dimples' stamped into them. Aftermarket shackles are most always flat.

Post up a close up pic of the shackle/bushing/spring.

Still doesn't answer the question if they are OEM style or aftermarket style.

The OEM style bushings will be conical on the ends. Aftermarket style should be flat. This is due to the OEM shackles having 'dimples' stamped into them. Aftermarket shackles are most always flat.

Post up a close up pic of the shackle/bushing/spring.
They are OEM style! They are conical. I was wondering about that. I used them because it’s what came with the BDS kit. The Currie shackles came with flat ones. I will swap them out.

Had the same problem and I'm with Lumpy and Gert. The pivot centers were closer than the axle perch centers. This caused the springs to angle out as they approached the shackles. My axles were 3/8" outboard each which became 3/4" each at the shackles.

I had the OEM shackles and they were angled out when I started. It didn't matter whether they were conical and the new Warrior were flat. It was a center to center issue.

I had new perches welded to the axle to align with the pivots. In my case, this helped, but did not entirely correct the issue. After 32 years of being misaligned, the springs had taken a set. I finally swapped the left for the right spring and now the shackles angle slightly inboard. If I were to install new springs, they'd be perfect. Of course, you are using new springs already, so aligning the perches should solve your problem in my opinion.

My rear springs, bushings, and shackles were all completely frozen. By installing the new bushings in the pivots and new shackles everything moved for the first time in probably decades. The interesting thing is that my CJ7 would skid in flat turns over 40mph and felt like it wanted to roll over. I also had that dead spot in the steering. After freeing up the rear suspension, my Jeep just settles into flat curves and the dead spot in the steering is virtually gone. Didn't expect either. I'll be doing the front bushings this winter.

Thank you for all the responses. I am curious, when they were new and came off the lot, were the shackles angled out? Why would they make the axle holes a different width than the frame? Forgive me if I sound a bit ignorant, but I am new to all this and just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks