Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ 7 Blue
2004 Chevy LWB CC,
2012 Corvette Grand Sport
1986 CJ 7 Red Garnet
1978 CJ 7 Kinda Orangish
Has anyone done one here? If so, which kit did you use? Issues? Does changing over to a serpentine create other potential problems?

But nothing for the I6.

It's a good upgrade.

Why do you think so? I understand it can be a personal preference thing but I have never understood why people think a serpentine belt is an upgrade. I have the two belt setup on my 258; power steering and alternator and if my PS belt were to go out I could still get home although steering would likely be a blast. I carry a spare alternator belt in my tool kit as that is really the only belt I absolutely need.
For some reason my gas engine likes to get spark to keep running. LOL

What are the advantages of serpentine versus traditional belt?

Most days I don't come in to look and learn. I'm usually a more turn and burn kinda guy. But I'm still listening and thinking here. I'm thinking a belt upgrade is more a matter of taste/choice. Belt quality is most likely about the same. The appeal/look under the hood is much cleaner. If you keep spare belts with your crash box, then keeping a serp belt wouldn't be much different. I haven't committed to doing this yet but this is the time. I was wondering about how close clearences or maybe power steering hose angles or lengths. Stuff like that.

Last edited:
Why do you think so? I understand it can be a personal preference thing but I have never understood why people think a serpentine belt is an upgrade. I have the two belt setup on my 258; power steering and alternator and if my PS belt were to go out I could still get home although steering would likely be a blast. I carry a spare alternator belt in my tool kit as that is really the only belt I absolutely need.
For some reason my gas engine likes to get spark to keep running. LOL

What are the advantages of serpentine versus traditional belt?

For me there are two points that are better with a serpentine belt:
1. The belt has more surface / contact area which reduces the chance of any belt slippage at any given time.
2. They have a tensioner. This means less jumping around of the belt which also means it has less chance of jumping off a pulley, and you don't have to pull on the alt/pwr steering pump so hard to get it tight.

Those are the reasons that I would switch.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks