Sending unit leak

Sending unit leak

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
#1 - 1977 CJ-7 Renegade (Daisy Jane), Levis trim, 304, TH400, BW1339 (MM), D30/Auburn Max, AMC20/Trac-Lok/G2's, 4.88's, 33" BFG MT KM2's, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley Sniper 4bbl EFI, MSD6, MSD ProBillet distributor, OME shocks, 4" ProComp lift.

#2 - 1984 CJ-7 Laredo (The Texas Hooker Project - Incomplete/Undecided)
So my leak is around where the sending unit seats in tank. Does this look right? Does it need tightened and if so how?

Or is it bound up and not seating correctly as a result?

93cdb2314ba906c1a3ba74b2834c1c31.jpg

7ee1f8fe966f99ae3c7aa7ab0711317d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There might be a special wrench for that, but I just use a parallel punch to loosen the sending unit. You will probably have to replace that o-ring, maybe from a local hardware, industrial hardware, or 4wd outfit. Get an outside diameter and thickness measurement. Check the hoses for cracks or better yet replace them if you have not done so already.

There might be a special wrench for that, but I just use a parallel punch to loosen the sending unit. You will probably have to replace that o-ring, maybe from a local hardware, industrial hardware, or 4wd outfit. Get an outside diameter and thickness measurement. Check the hoses for cracks or better yet replace them if you have not done so already.

So the sending unit spins inside the big shroud on the tank?

Is mine bound up in the second pic?

The sending unit itself does not spin, there is a retaining ring in there that does to release it. I would also suggest running that ground wire from the gas tank that usually goes to a point to the frame to a location as close to the battery ground as you can as it can help with the gas gauge operation. Steel is a very poor electrical conductor.

So my leak is around where the sending unit seats in tank. Does this look right? Does it need tightened and if so how?

Or is it bound up and not seating correctly as a result?

93cdb2314ba906c1a3ba74b2834c1c31.jpg

7ee1f8fe966f99ae3c7aa7ab0711317d.jpg

You can see in the first picture the lock ring is not engaged on the left or top side tabs. See how the lock ring is under the tabs on the bottom of the picture. It's under both tabs. I still would replace the gasket and the rubber hoses while the tank is out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

^^this, plus the ring isn't locked against the stops. Having the proper tool is handy, but a dull flathead screw driver and light hammer will do.

You can see in the first picture the lock ring is not engaged on the left or top side tabs. See how the lock ring is under the tabs on the bottom of the picture. It's under both tabs. I still would replace the gasket and the rubber hoses while the tank is out.

^^this, plus the ring isn't locked against the stops. Having the proper tool is handy, but a dull flathead screw driver and light hammer will do.

So should I tap in the red circle in the direction of the yellow arrow until it reaches the area in the green circle?

6217ccc7627b801418b37d6d2fe597f0.jpg

First tap red away from green to completely unlock the ring. Preferably remove sender and replace gasket. Then ensure the lock ring is under all three tabs with the bump on them and tap in with a brass drift

I see now where it's not under one of those tabs. Thank you.

The tank and unit are both just 2-3 years old but I sure hate dropping it ;-)

:agree: I agree with everything above. I also put a thin coating of grease on both sides of the rubber gasket. That will keep the gasket from bunching up, and make the retaining ring turn more easily.

By the way Curt - since we discussed these leaks in person and on the phone - I actually had two leaks. The "big" one was a line that slipped off going to the rollover check valve. The leak at the sending unit is more of a weeper, but needs fixed nonetheless.

Glad you found the problem and are taking care of it! I really thought it would be the fill vent hose. Wish I was close enough to come help. Call if you need any additional help.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks