Security lug nut holding up spring leaf removal

Security lug nut holding up spring leaf removal

DHugg

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'80 CJ7 304AMC crate with 8KMiles: MC2100 - AMC20 rear w/Superiors - Dana30 front - TF999 - Dana300TC - 35x12.5's - Tilt steer column - Flaming Rvr EZ-Steer Shaft - AGR Super Pump - AGR Super Box II - RockyRidge HD Brace - New home-designed digital TEMP - GAS - OILPR - CALIBRATE gauges.
I've had the wheels off several times since purchase in 2009 - single-piece rear axles, front disc-rear drum brake overhaul, and one really good tire and wheel cleaning. After rebuilding the D300 I moved to the other bay of the garage, repacking all tools and parts in a much neater way than before.

Now I'm removing leaves from the ProComp hi-lift springs so as not to shake my boat and trailer apart since completing both last month.

Do you think with the good organization and labelling of all parts and tools I could find the socket adapter that gets this anti-theft lug nut off ???

HELP !!! Can I buy one to match somewhere? Can I get the lug nut off with an alternate methods some more experienced Jeep owner knows about? Can I find someone on the MS Gulf Coast from whom to borrow an anti-theft lug nut adapter?

I think I'll revert to plain lug nuts after I get over this. Not being able to change a tire will leave me in the swamp some night, and the mosquitoes will suck so much blood that the alligators will ignore my dead, bled-white body.

Attachments

• Spring leaf removal0.jpg
    Spring leaf removal0.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 408
  • Spring leaf removal1.jpg
    Spring leaf removal1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 439
  • Spring leaf removal2.jpg
    Spring leaf removal2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 580
You can get some nails and place them in the slots of your nut. Then grab them with a pair of lock pliers as low as you can...it should lock up tight as it wedges the nails in the slots. Use your foot to break it and twist it right off.

Last time I had to do this, I took a 12 point socket, drove it over the security nut and took it of with a breaker bar.

Last time I had to do this, I took a 12 point socket, drove it over the security nut and took it of with a breaker bar.
I've seen this method work, "drove" meant using a BFH. and the socket is history after that. It was some poor soul that our group found on the trail with a sidewall tear.

I had those on mine when I bought it. I took a socket and hammered it on and used a breaker bar to get it off. Now I use standard lugs. I hate those security lug nuts.

Sent from Tapatalk on a small phone, forgive the misspelling.

I took a cut off wheel and cut a slot on one and than a chisel and hammer and split it half. Mine wasn't buried in the wheel that far though.
Good luck, I'd look for that adapter some more :D

Yup...double-check the glove compartment.

Check with tire shops, they probably have an assortment of them things to get customers wheels off that the owner lost the tool for. Just a thought.

Check with tire shops, they probably have an assortment of them things to get customers wheels off that the owner lost the tool for. Just a thought.

The better ones to check are the bigger chain stores. That is where the might forget to return them after use. Trust me on this...:D

Just drive a 12pt metric socket on it like has been mentioned. Buy a cheap one for this, it will be easier to throw it away afterward. You won't need the metric socket anyway, you have a Jeep!:chug:

It seems to me that the only people that can't get the wheels off are the people that own them.:laugh:
I had some and the "key" stripped after a couple of uses and I had to remove them with vice grips, took a couple of hours as I recall. I think I will just take my chances.:D

ORielly has hardened sockets just for this. Check with them. The sockets are like a reverse EZ out with the splines inside the socket. They come in a package of two and they are made by irwin tool

One smack with a sledge, and a replace ment of a new stud is all it takes. Hit that stud and it will sheer right off. :chug:

I've had the wheels off several times since purchase in 2009 - single-piece rear axles, front disc-rear drum brake overhaul, and one really good tire and wheel cleaning. After rebuilding the D300 I moved to the other bay of the garage, repacking all tools and parts in a much neater way than before.

Now I'm removing leaves from the ProComp hi-lift springs so as not to shake my boat and trailer apart since completing both last month.

Do you think with the good organization and labelling of all parts and tools I could find the socket adapter that gets this anti-theft lug nut off ???

HELP !!! Can I buy one to match somewhere? Can I get the lug nut off with an alternate methods some more experienced Jeep owner knows about? Can I find someone on the MS Gulf Coast from whom to borrow an anti-theft lug nut adapter?

I think I'll revert to plain lug nuts after I get over this. Not being able to change a tire will leave me in the swamp some night, and the mosquitoes will suck so much blood that the alligators will ignore my dead, bled-white body.

:)Weld a bolt or nut to it..........or drill it out.

:D:D:D:D

One smack with a sledge, and a replace ment of a new stud is all it takes. Hit that stud and it will sheer right off. :chug:

Quick and to the point. :chug:

Tire stores have a hardened socket with the inside diameter being tapered (cone shaped) that they pound on the lug nut with a hammer. Then a breaker bar or air hammer will spin it off. If you know someone at a local tire store, see if they will allow you to borrow one for a few minutes or if your Jeep is still drivable, take it to the tire shop and let them take those particular nuts off. I'm assumming you have at least 4 to remove. Regular sockets are going to be trash after you abuse them so unless you have a pocket full of spare cheap sockets to throw away, I'd attempt finding the right tool to do it with. Chain parts stores ought to have the tool in stock and I found a bunch of hits for them with a web search. Example: Emergency Lug Nut Remover - PFTM980 Good luck!

Under 20 bucks?! That's much better than the almost-200 OReilly wants. This'd be a good tool to throw in the glovebox. (Well, mine anyway. My lug wrench is 1/2" drive.)

Under 20 bucks?! That's much better than the almost-200 OReilly wants. This'd be a good tool to throw in the glovebox. (Well, mine anyway. My lug wrench is 1/2" drive.)

:)Well that's interesting so what keeps the thiefs from Buying a few of these? (LOL).........I guess it would slow them down a little!
:D:D:D:D

Hey, when you really think about it, 'bout all locks have the ability to do is keep so called "honest" folks honest. Ain't too many locks out there that can't be bypassed providing there's enough motivation.

Re: Security lug nut holding up spring leaf removal (Update)

Many thanks for all offering solutions. I could not find one to cull.

I got a 21mm lug nut removal tool by Performance from O'Reilly's. They come in a pair for $18. I don't have an air impact setup. so I am going ahead with the spring leaf removal wheels-on to get my Jeep rolling again, then trek to couple places who do lots of Jeep work. The annual week-long auto restoration show here called "Cruisin' the Coast", held early October, is a big stimulus to quality auto maintenance shops.

I am removing leaf #4, #1 being the long leaf and #5 being the short bottom segment. Leaves 1, 4 and 5 appear to be thicker, with leaves 2 and 3 made of thinner stuff.

Lots of wire brush, OSPHO anti-rust, Rustoleum undercoat and brake caliper paint in red on the horizon next 3 days. I will close the loop this weekend hopefully and put up photos of final solution.

Again, much appreciate all the brain bytes expended on my behalf.

Re: Security lug nut holding up spring leaf removal (Final)

Best work I ever did! After a short test-drive, I actually think this Jeep has a better ride than my wife's '05 Honda Element. All the bounces have been dampened; the bone-jarring crashes with back end hop have disappeared.

I have been challenged - she says "I don't believe it! Show me". This will be only the third time she's been in the Jeep, and the first time voluntarily.

The body line is now perfectly level, from a before-leaf-removal slight up-slope to the rear.

Thanks again, all responders. I have so many options for anti-theft lug nut removal that it is now a non-issue.

Attachments

• Spr1.jpg
    Spr1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 427
  • Spr2.jpg
    Spr2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 430
  • Spr3.jpg
    Spr3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 438

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks