Torxhead

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ,258,T-18,4:1,Dana 44s
img_1327.jpg

img_1326__800x600.jpg

img_1319__800x600.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(Link)-> salvation mountain - Bing -<

For a getaway trip this worked, but for a Jeep trip it was a bust. This was a club trip to the Northeast shore of the Salton Sea in SoCal that lasted 5 nites. the first pic is of the Club underneath an old RR bridge on the Bradshaw Trail that goes from the Salton Sea to the Colorado river that was used to take miners to the gold fields. The second is of Salvation Mountian where a guy built a monument out of leftover paint and hay bales and did a little truck detailing. The third is of one of the club members '50 Ford F3 with a Bronco chassis that I really liked. The links are a video of the local mud pots that was quite a show and a link to the Salvation Mountian page that shows the monument. The trip had quite a few problems like the Ford F3 had the wrong lug nuts and destroyed one of its wheels along with another CJ5 the had its wheels come loose on a bumpy road. A Cherokee had cracked a fuel line and started leaking along with an engine stall due to overheated fuel. My CJ7 got a tire sidewall piercing which destroyed that. A JK had its starter quit and had to be towed back to camp. Kudos to JR74CJ5 for the help loading the video.

(Edit by JR - No worries - here you go for embedded)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Get over on the west side of the 'sea' and have some fun.:banana:
THX for the TR.
LG

Get over on the west side of the 'sea' and have some fun.:banana:
THX for the TR.
LG

Looking forward to it. The trip to the east side also included a day trip to the General Patton Museum at Chiraco Summit, which was quite a humbling experience. Along with a tour of Slab city where people living in cardboard shacks were next to the snowbirds in their fancy rvs. At this time of the year it is t-shirt weather all day long.

Most of the trails on the west side of SS near SR22 were 'cut' by Patton's tanks.
Back in the 70's we would find .50BMG cases and links. Once I found 7 live .50 BMG rounds in a 'notch' next to Grave Wash.
That place has a lot history to it.
Agree 110% about the Patton Museum.
LG

Thanks for sharing Torx. Had a few of those wheeling events were you couldn't get down the trail far before someone breaks. Turns into a social, maintenance day, and those are fun days as well. Digging the 50 ford. Do you, or anyone in your club have any more pics of this run? I need a fix, haven't wheeled since August.

Most of the trails on the west side of SS near SR22 were 'cut' by Patton's tanks.
Back in the 70's we would find .50BMG cases and links. Once I found 7 live .50 BMG rounds in a 'notch' next to Grave Wash.
That place has a lot history to it.
Agree 110% about the Patton Museum.
LG

Yeah, I also have found some .50 cal. military grade casings on the south side of the S22. All the trail closures on the north side were quite disappointing, but that area has seen a lot of overuse in my opinion by guys making their own trails.

Thanks for sharing Torx. Had a few of those wheeling events were you couldn't get down the trail far before someone breaks. Turns into a social, maintenance day, and those are fun days as well. Digging the 50 ford. Do you, or anyone in your club have any more pics of this run? I need a fix, haven't wheeled since August.

Trail fixes are fun as long as it is not your rig, and to think that some guys still do not bring any spare parts or even any tools when they go on a Jeep trip. Most the good stuff in that area was closed due to the California Desert Protection Act: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Desert_Protection_Act_of_1994

Here are some links from nearby Anza-Borrego State Park that might help you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyIDNn73H4U(Part 1, see part 2 also)

I'm not interested in seeing rollovers, just some trail riding and scenery.

I watched 10 second of that video. Hopefully you don't wheel with that group, poor spotting, and poor spotter position.

img_1226.jpg

dons_jeep_arch.jpg

calico.jpg

suprise_canyon_002.jpg

Sorry about that Posi, I am sure every state in the country has its share of scenic trails. So, I threw in a few that I had in my gallery that I have been on. The first one is located a few miles down from where that video was shot. That last trip I was on just didn't have that much for scenery.

Thanks! I would very much enjoy wheeling out your way. I really want to do some overland wheeling out west. :chug:

Yeah, I also have found some .50 cal. military grade casings on the south side of the S22. All the trail closures on the north side were quite disappointing, but that area has seen a lot of overuse in my opinion by guys making their own trails.

For over 70 years that was an 'open area' OHV area. It was 100% legal to cut trails. Our club cut a bunch of'em.
The overuse you call it, only came into place when the large areas were closed off and put the same amount of people in a much smaller place. Same :dung: that was done at Glamis Dunes, Holcomb Vly & Dumont Dunes.
:chug:
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom