Rust guy info

Rust guy info

wood1022

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 quadratrack, 304
Restoring78 CJ 7. Seen a commercial several times do Rust Rust Guy said just scrape or brush heavy stuff off and apply. Said chemical reaction between it a rust makes a seal that won't rust again. I'm g n.a. pull body, so y not use on frame a body tub. Any experience or better idea. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Rust guy ifo

Restoring78 CJ 7. Seen a commercial several times do Rust Rust Guy said just scrape or brush heavy stuff off and apply. Said chemical reaction between it a rust makes a seal that won't rust again. I'm g n.a. pull body, so y not use on frame a body tub. Any experience or better idea. Thanks

Never heard of the rust guy, but it sounds like a rust converter. To me, best way to remove rust would be media blast - mechanically remove all rust following with a good primer. Short of that, I'd say a rust converter would be a good second choice. I'd remove as much as possible, then hit it with the converter. POR15 makes good stuff as well. They would also be a good second choice. There are folks here who have had great results with converters, and a bunch that swear by POR15 products. if it were me, and I couldn't remove the rust, I'd convert it and hit it with POR15.

X2 on what Shum8 said I have used POR 15 with great results it lasts for years

I'm doing the same thing to my '77 CJ5. I have been using WD-40's rust remover soak for small parts. Soak it for 24hrs and the rust is gone. It also helps the old paint come off easier. Afterwards clean it well, degrease it and prime. They have a $10 off per gallon deal at Lowes right now.

https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-300045...id=1488839986&sr=8-1&keywords=wd+40+rust+soak

Another product that seems to work pretty well is Auto Tech Rust Prep. It's expensive on Amazon but I picked some up at my local automotive paint store for about 1/2 the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Tech-Ma...488840227&sr=8-1&keywords=auto+tech+rust+prep

Like others have said. It's best to media blast and coat with epoxy primer.

Another good dip method to try is evaporust

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Prep and Etch works well on rust as well. Get it at the bog box stores and such.
It is basically phosphoric acid.Get the bog chunks off and soak.
Before you think rubber gloves and masks, it's pretty harmless to skin.
And phosphoric acid is an ingredient in Coke.:)

I like Evaporust as well. Harbor Freight use to carry it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks