Rubicon Trip 9-2020

Rubicon Trip 9-2020
The next photo I have is from when Everyone was arriving. Posi wanted to take his jeep out a bit too, and So did a few others that arrived. We did that same trail again, Rad rode with me, and we moved a bit slow. The smoke and phone focus didn't cooperate with the photo but same bridge.

18.jpg

We got back to camp, Bluerocket had arrived by then and all were getting ready for the Monday adventure of doing the old entrance into the Rubicon, and coming out Loon Lake (more common) entrance. We call it "the loop".

Monday, as said, we went in Wentworth Springs old entrance to the trail. It's mostly a dirt road in a ways until you come out of Wentworth springs camp ground (relatively a dirt road anyways)... We stopped at the beginning of the trail to take a few photos and last second air downs etc:

19.jpg

The trail starts easy enough...

21.jpg

About 30 - 45 minutes later we arrive in the campground where the 0.0 mile marker was the center of some photos... Bluerocket tried to get Max to cooperate for the photo:

22.jpg

Semi Successful...

23.jpg

The North-Eastern USA Crew

24.jpg

Rubicon Map on Display - we checked it out for a bit:

25.jpg

26.jpg

Some Coldair style photography...

27.jpg

Optional "harder" Bolder Climb:

30.jpg

32.jpg

29.jpg

28.jpg

Some good views:

33.jpg

34.jpg

38.jpg

And, after some reflector hunting, and some pretty intense wheeling (I hope others have photos of) here is us finally at the end of a long day in front of the nice Rubicon Trail sign - I walked up the damn a bit to take a good photo

41.jpg

42.jpg

Posi had passed it - asked "where's the sign" lol It was a long day...

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 7
Monday Night we got back to camp and Snooby and I took a drive into town to get some fuel and ice to get everyone freshened up for the main event... More to come... Back to work!

Great looking pics an video. Do you mind if I upload them to your media galley here so they are part of the site?

Great pictures bluerocket ! Thanks

Man...what I wouldn't give to do one of these at some point

Nice photos Bluerocket! Thank you!

The key is just doing it! I met these crazy guys who go and am hooked to drive cross country every year lol.
X2 Just do it ! I plan to do just that in the next 1 - 3 years. Got to get the jeep squared away, and tested a little then do it. Hopefully the trips are still rolling for many more years.

Absolutely if you have time that would be awesome! I've just been flat out at work and this is what I've managed to put together.
The only way I can put them in your gallery is if I log in as you. Is this OK?

That looks awesome. We were supposed to be there the day they shut it down. Went to Sand Hollow in Utah instead. Just not the same. So the Rubicon is still on my bucket list.

So - I left off with the Monday Loop run concluding... Tuesday Morning, my way too ambitious plan was to get on the trail early and get into Rubicon Springs for 2 nights of camping at the springs. Needless to say that was not realistic for a group our size without making it a miserable trip and wheeling into the darkness... Lesson learned there.

We started through the Loon lake entrance pretty early. The group went ahead of me while I made a phone call on the road and we met at the staging area at the spillway. The wind had picked up pretty bad overnight and when we got to the lake, there was ocean like waves white capping across Loon lake. As I approached the first dam, I heard some chatter on the radio and my Brother saying "well do we want to go the same speed or faster? Not sure which is better?" Driving over the dam(s) felt like the wind was going to blow my jeep and I off the dam! It was unreal. I could feel the water from the waves crashing against the lake edge at least 20 ft lower than me and 10 foot away...

We were at the staging area and I looked at the group and said, this might be too much, maybe we should head back and see if it calms down and readjust our plans. My main worry on the trail was a tree falling and us not having a chain saw. We decided as a group to continue on and see what it looked like further along.

We got to the granite slabs and I took a few photos:
65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

Then we made it to the Dirt / Rocks:

75.jpg

From there my photo taking fell off until we got in to Ellis Creek for a little rest:

Here's a panoramic of the area - it looks funny - I basically did almost a full 360 turn while taking it, so the road on the left is the same road as the bridge far right:

51.jpg

Max was telling Bluerocket he was over the rocky ground...

52.jpg
78.jpg

Group was checking out the Bridge.

55.jpg

We then helped one jeep that accidentally got stuck on a 3 foot bolder off said bolder (Snooby got to use his winch finally!) and we move along...

JR was wondering how much gas on average people were going through each day ? Just a rough average. While out on the trails. Thanks

JR was wondering how much gas on average people were going through each day ? Just a rough average. While out on the trails. Thanks

Each person varied greatly. I think I used the most. I have 11 Gal under my seat and 15 gal in standard under rear section (2 tanks). I didn't have both full to brim as they don't like being full, and I carry 10 gallons on my rear rack.

I pulled into Tahoe staging area on fumes. So I probably used 18 to 22 gallons to go all the way. Trail is +/- 15 miles.

Stupid thirsty 360 V8...

Yea I only have a 15 gallon tank, and as long as the trail is not far off I have never had a problem with fuel.

We continued along Tuesday and came to the Soup Bowl (much more in between, but no photos from me). Blue Rocket pulled up on it a bit and actually had a pretty good line, but decided to pull off. The photos below don't do it justice to see the actual optional obstacle in person... Posi took one look and wanted to tackle it though! We had fun watching him try. Eventually we backed him off as his front driveshaft extended so far it exceeded the limit of the slip. Here's some photos:

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

If you want to see some cool videos of this optional challenge - google Rubicon Trail Soup Bowl.

We got his driveline popped back together and after watching a couple other guys from another group play around on it (and we thought kill a YJ jeep) we moved on. We got to the Little Sluice box and Blue Rocket and Posi tried it. Some slight hangups, but both made it through "successfully" ;)

We then as a group decided to cut the day off there and camp out overnight and start fresh in the morning. The wind was unbelievable that night. We all tied tents off to jeeps and trees and had some dinner and got some sleep.

We then helped one jeep that accidentally got stuck on a 3 foot bolder off said bolder (Snooby got to use his winch finally!) and we move along...

Correction! Shooby Typo / going from Memory screwed that one up! lol I used to be able to edit but not sure I can anymore, so this is the Edit! lol

More still to come. Hoping others post some photos too.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks