Rubicon Trip 9-2020

Rubicon Trip 9-2020
Yea I only have a 15 gallon tank, and as long as the trail is not far off I have never had a problem with fuel.

Most have extra fuel in a can of some sort. depending on how efficient your jeep is, it would be close. Problem here is fuel is a little ways from either side - I thought Posi was going to run out on 2 lane highway around Lake Tahoe lol

Wednesday morning we woke up and tooled around a bit breaking down camps. The wind was a little better. We noticed that the YJ jeep we thought they killed at soup bowl drove by us towards the little sluice the night before, or that morning early. They fixed whatever it was with a ratchet strap... However before we left, it was being towed out again from little sluice fail... They were a cool group though.

Here's a little teaser of TJ buddies (My Brother and Bluerocket) meeting up and comparing tires this day... More to come!

106.jpg

129.jpg

These machines are pretty sweet honestly... Love my old CJ, but not going to lie, these TJ's flex nice wheeling! Ok, beat me with bats for that comment...

Oh - and see that stupid reflector on the ground? Those were what I was hunting to stay on track on the trail... (And failing to find from time to time... lol)

Cheers!

I thought Posi was going to run out on 2 lane highway around Lake Tahoe lol
I was sweating that one out. A shade below E leaving the staging area with 13+ miles to the nearest fuel station. Reference, full 20 gallon tank (not topped off) from Airport Flats Campground, (350/700r4)

Can't thank you enough Jr for putting this trail run together. Big thanks to your family as well. I had a fantastic time!

Loving all the reports and pictures. Keep it up.

What an amazing adventure we had on this trip!
Thank you JR, Oakie, and family for hosting this. And what a wonderful generous family you have. We loved just hanging out with you all at base camp. Thanks again!!

IMG_4127.JPG
Morning lineup day one...my power brake booster only functioning half the time...IMG_4134.JPG
Fortunately we had the Lord Sholto Douglas (LSD??!!!) Chapter of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitas... to guide us!!!IMG_4137.JPG
Lookin' kind of desolate at this point...
View attachment IMG_4153 (1).MOV

and you look over your shoulder and see this...bear.JPG
We'd been warned about the BEAR population and sure enough, I woke to find one foraging for Pop Tarts right in my tent!IMG_4158.JPG
Rest stops along the trail were plentiful and beautifully maintained.
View attachment IMG_4138.MOV
View attachment IMG_4140.MOV

Showers were available for those who needed them badly enough
View attachment IMG_4156.MOV

Gary showing off again
IMG_4180 (1).JPGIMG_4180.JPGIMG_4181.JPGIMG_4183 (1).JPGIMG_4184 (1).JPG
All this in just 3
View attachment IMG_4164.mov
days!

The view from the sidelines on this sluice!IMG_4171.JPG
A welcome sight

Attachments

• IMG_4122.JPG
    IMG_4122.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4156.MOV
    7.9 MB
  • IMG_4156.MOV
    7.9 MB
Nice pictures Shooby! I forgot about your shock, how was the drive to Moab after without it? Get it replaced?

My Favorite part of the "Gary showing off again" video was I asked Gary "did you try to put a tire on the bolder and it slide off? How did you get on that thing? - Gary "I was just following Posi, didn't even see it there..."

LOL and I'm not making fun of him, it was just a funny response - I had a good laugh, still smile thinking about it. And Shooby was excited to use his winch!

Such a fun trip with you all.

Cheers!

So, left off on Wednesday morning:

We bypassed little sluice, this is the small decline line - bit off camber and strange.

91.jpg96.jpg97.jpg101.jpg102.jpg107.jpg
124.jpg
126.jpg

Blue Rocket and Max found a nice bolder to hang out by.

103.jpg

Cameron Cruising along on the dirt road :D

108.jpg

Posi found his squeeze tree / rock - he was looking forward to this:

109.jpg

111.jpg

118.jpg

I have some videos of people going around, just got to edit out my squawking voice spotting!

158.jpg

159.jpg

160.jpg

162.jpg

163.jpg

132.jpg

133.jpg

134.jpg

135.jpg

I of course took a different line and ended up in a good position to pose with Posi's Jeep

JR posing.jpg

Attachments

• 161.jpg
    161.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 164.jpg
    164.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 14
Here's some out of order random ones I had, including a brave deer that didn't mind my exhaust noise too much... Was in a no hunting zone and it knew it!

121.jpg

130.jpg

136.jpg

137.jpg

141.jpg

142.jpg

143.jpg

144.jpg

148.jpg

149.jpg

150.jpg

151.jpg

145.jpg

146.jpg

147.jpg

Here's the deer in the bushes...

138.jpg

Here's observation point at the top of Cadillac Hill. The obligatory "we made it" photo spot. All dirt road from there right group? :D

165.jpg

166.jpg

168.jpg

And finally - My dogs wee very happy to see me when I arrived home. They were a bit clingy.

169.jpg

I know there's more photos and videos still out there, we'll get them out as soon as edited and ready (my videos).

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 152.jpg
    152.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 15
I have to say that this was a great trip. Its really far from my house in NewYork but totally worth it, plus the looks on peoples faces when they saw the plates was priceless. My pup and I had a great time, and wheeling the rock sections with only one hand on the wheel really upped the challenge.
While it wont be next year, I'm certain to make that trip again next time I have 600 gallons of diesel to burn.
The more I think about it the sooner it will be, so I must move on to sand hollow.

Thanks again for arranging this.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks