Rubicon Trail - Winter CRAZY Land!

Rubicon Trail - Winter CRAZY Land!

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
So we were feeling a bit adventurous, and decided we'd never had our tires in snow yet on the jeeps! We, quite bravely (or foolishly) decided we'd try our jeeps in the snow on the very difficult Rubicon Trail.

Jeeps did great in the snow, but the ice sucked big time.

We left Sac @ 4:00AM New years day! Got to Rubicon Loon Lake entrance around 6:30 ish since we drove slow up Wentworth Springs / Ice House Rd. (It was icy). The very first down hill off the granite spillway area was icy and kicked us sideways on a side-hill.

I'm waiting on Go-Pro footage from my Uncle, but here's a couple photos and videos of the less hairy spots.

The Granite Bowl was beautiful in the early sunlight!

IMG_0402_zps4a420375.jpg

Here was exiting the granite bowl near the loon lake entrance - getting into the bowl was a bit more difficult... :cool:

There was definitely some icy conditions present!

The snow areas were cool!

You really NEED to bring a chainsaw when going into a trail that may not have been ran lately... The first tree fall we came to was "easily" avoided by turning around and winching back up the trail we just came down. There are multiple routes on this section of the trail so we chose a different one...

But the next tree had to be conquered!

In hindsight, we should have packed a down side ramp as well... We foraged for logs to put in front of the tree across the trail. The video doesn't show it well, but there is about a foot between the ground and the bottom of the tree, and the tree is about a foot or so in thickness.

We didn't have enough fuel (or time) to travel back to the Loon Lake Entrance instead.

We got off the trail without much issue, and back to our favorite camp site. Set up a bit of a camp to make lunch and a pot of coffee. Also fueled up the Jeeps for the drive back down the mountain and back to Sac. My Cousin took a small nap too! :D

Camp_zps29c066a6.jpg

LloydFuelingCamp_zps9b1d2552.jpg

FuelingUpCamp_zps40f76f43.jpg

IMG_0409_zpsfc606966.jpg

Hope to have some links to the GoPro footage soon from my Uncle.

Lesson learned about the chain saw for sure!

:chug:

Thanks JR for sharing looks like you guys had a great time. Always enjoy your trail pics. :chug:

Looks like fun. :) Your right a chainsaw is always handy to have along.

Crazy is right there JR, thanks for sharing. Do you think you could have winched over those trees with out any damage?

Thanks for sharing. Who doesn't love pics and vid's from the Rubicon!!:chug:

Crazy is right there JR, thanks for sharing. Do you think you could have winched over those trees with out any damage?

The first one, probably, but since we could turn around, we didn't try.

The second one we had to, I was trying to avoid winching over with stacking the ramp, but forgot to stack a ramp down :p

:chug:

Reminds me of the trails in West Virginia I used to do in the wintertime. That was always the best camping. :chug:

Looks like great fun. Thanks for sharing it with us.

A situation like this is where a High Lift Jack comes in handy. An ax is also nice, light and it's easy to carry.

Looks like an awesome trip. I didn't know it was even possible in the Winter. Thank you very much for sharing.

Awesome pics and videos JR!!! I'm super jealous, that looks like it was a TON of fun :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks