Rubicon Express 4.5 inch lift too high

Rubicon Express 4.5 inch lift too high

jeepchick84

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 258 inline 6, 5 speed, 4.5 Rubicon Express Extreme Duty lift kit, 33x12.5 Mickey Thompsons
I'm a chick with a jeep problem. I want to lower my jeep about 2 inches if I can without having to swap out my entire 4.5 lift for a 2.5. Is there any economical way to do this? The extreme duty lift that is in the jeep rides so rough that taking out a leaf or too might help soften it up a bit. Is this the way to go? The jeep hardly leaves the pavement so I don't have to worry about serious off road abuse to the suspension. Please help me guys I don't want to spend another couple grand on this.

I did try that once, with a Rancho lift kit years ago. The operation did soften up the ride but it did continue to keep sagging. Those lift kits are designed to be used as a complete unit, you could try it an see how it works anyway. If you lower the air pressure in the tires that could make the ride softer and switching to oem spring shackles would lower it if you are using the aftermarket ones. You might be able to work out a trade or sell it to someone as that suspension is quite desireable.

I'm not real sure, but since the RE springs are 2.5 wide all around, maybe you could just get 4 OME springs and swap them out and than sell the RE springs. You can buy the OME springs for app. $100 each. You can probably get that back from the RE springs.
I think you could reuse all the shackles and spring plates from the RE kit to do the swap.

I'm a chick with a jeep problem. I want to lower my jeep about 2 inches if I can without having to swap out my entire 4.5 lift for a 2.5. Is there any economical way to do this? The extreme duty lift that is in the jeep rides so rough that taking out a leaf or too might help soften it up a bit. Is this the way to go? The jeep hardly leaves the pavement so I don't have to worry about serious off road abuse to the suspension. Please help me guys I don't want to spend another couple grand on this.

:)The unfortunate thing is the main leafs have been arched up to increase the lift , no taking that back.....even taking out 1 or 2 of the short bottom leafs normally has very little effect. Tire pressure as mentioned will help some.
You may be able to buy 4 Stock main leafs and take apart your current spring package & replace the High Arched mains...............
If you have a good spring / suspension guy in your neck of the woods I would go talk to him.

:D:D:D:D

Been there......I have gone to removing 2 leafs from the bottom of the pack and ditching those ridiculous shackles the kit comes with and fabing some up that were the absolute minimum while still allowing full spring compression, best I remember that number is 3.75" c to c. This will get you a bit lower but those springs have alot of arch to them so not too much can be done.

Thanks guys please keep your ideas coming in.
Jeepchick84

I posted a question on the 4.5 RE suspension earlier...I did end up getting the kit, but only the pieces I needed. However, I have not had time to install yet...

I like a soft ride - which is exactly what I have right now. I run the Skyjacker 4" kit. JeepChick84, you should try Skyjacker. Also, what shocks do you have? I just swapped my original Skyjacker nitros out - which again, were okay. I installed Rancho 9000s up front, and can't wait to put them in the rear. I still also am running the Skyjacker 4" springs.

I will end up running this setup: RE 4.5 springs (YJ fronts with SRS, CJ rears) and Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks.

I really really hope to get a nice lift (I run 35's) and keep near to the ride quality I have right now.

At one time long ago, I purchased Explorer 4" kit, and within 3 days, took it off and got rid of it (not bashing anyone who has it) but it rode too rough for me. Skyjacker - is the way to go for a nice ride - hence "soft ride" IMO...

I posted a question on the 4.5 RE suspension earlier...I did end up getting the kit, but only the pieces I needed. However, I have not had time to install yet...

I like a soft ride - which is exactly what I have right now. I run the Skyjacker 4" kit. JeepChick84, you should try Skyjacker. Also, what shocks do you have? I just swapped my original Skyjacker nitros out - which again, were okay. I installed Rancho 9000s up front, and can't wait to put them in the rear. I still also am running the Skyjacker 4" springs.

I will end up running this setup: RE 4.5 springs (YJ fronts with SRS, CJ rears) and Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks.

I really really hope to get a nice lift (I run 35's) and keep near to the ride quality I have right now.

At one time long ago, I purchased Explorer 4" kit, and within 3 days, took it off and got rid of it (not bashing anyone who has it) but it rode too rough for me. Skyjacker - is the way to go for a nice ride - hence "soft ride" IMO...

Did you end up going with that setup (the RE Extreme 4.5 with Rancho 9000's)? I am building up a CJ7 right now and need to purchase my suspension, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking to go with. + MORE 1/2" lift shackles. Want to run 33s with v8 upfront. Thanks.

Teddy, good job on digging up an oldie thread, but micrablue hasnt visited the site since 2013 ;). A few of my buddies run the RE lifts on their XJ's and love it, personally I run the OME lift with 32's and no rubbing at all.

Teddy, good job on digging up an oldie thread, but micrablue hasnt visited the site since 2013 ;). A few of my buddies run the RE lifts on their XJ's and love it, personally I run the OME lift with 32's and no rubbing at all.

haha, yeah, I saw this was a pretty old post but I didn't want to start recreating new threads when some of that information might already be floating around in tiny electrons somewhere.

So, share some wisdom with me, what is the proper way to go about finding this kind of information if the threads are so old? Should I just start a new one and get the conversation going or should I raise one from the dead and start throwing words at it? :notworthy:

What's your OME lift height? I am looking to run 33's (maybe 35's depending on how it looks/need), so I figure I will need to have at least 3" to 4". I thought the rubbing issue stemmed from too big of ties with too little lift or not enough backspace... maybe time for a little more research...

Thanks
:cool:

I think opening up the crypt and resurrecting an old thread is good if there is already good reading in there. But that's just me thinking

I'm all for researching and bring old conversations back around, saves space. The OME lift (YJ conversion spring kit) is advertised at 2 1/2-3" lift. I load the :dung: out of mine for week long desert trips, so I added an additional main spring front and rear which lifted it at least another 3/4". I went with OME after much research myself. Conquering giant rock piles isnt my thing, so 32-33's was my target to start. My 8 rides better than I could have expected with the current set-up. I'm sure the guys with 35's will help chime in with what they did to get there

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks