Rock Slider opinions and recomendations

Rock Slider opinions and recomendations

Zuni

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7, 03 WJ
I'm starting to look at sliders for my '84 7. I've read heated arguments on other forums regarding sliders that mount to the body and those that are frame mounted. Anybody here have there own preference as to type and/or brand they prefer using? The option of making my own is always there as well, but to save time I'd rather buy a quality (fit and function) proven slider.

Just my opinion, but from your location, there is a chance you will end up on the Rubicon eventually. SO I'd recommend a Frame-and-body mount, 0.250 wall 2x3 tube slider...Possibly with a tube 'kicker' to keep body damage to a minimum. As for what to buy, I can't recommend anyone. I always planned on building my own when the time came...

I'm starting to look at sliders for my '84 7. I've read heated arguments on other forums regarding sliders that mount to the body and those that are frame mounted. Anybody here have there own preference as to type and/or brand they prefer using? The option of making my own is always there as well, but to save time I'd rather buy a quality (fit and function) proven slider.

There are a LOT of things being called 'ROCK SLIDERS' that simply ARE NOT...

The first on the list is the plastic gadgets that are just corner protectors for the bottom edge of the body!
These things litter the trails where we go!
Some version of vehicle came with the plastic ones from the factory, and I've seen them sold for Jeeps for around $200, and there is NO WAY that a plastic edge protector is going to work as a ROCK SLIDER!

SECOND...
METAL corner protectors for the bottom of the tub between the tires...

THESE ARE NOT ROCK SLIDERS!
They are simply edge protectors, and although some are made very tough,
They make you do THREE things I REALLY DO NOT like to do...
A. Drill your tub for install.
B. Trap :dung: behind them that galls the paint, causes corrosion and rust.
C. Allows rocks to get 'HIGH' between the tires so often times the back tire can't climb the rock/obstacle.
-------------------------------------

A REAL ROCK SLIDER...
Will mount to your frame,
Keep the rocks from ever reaching your tub underside or edges and will extend out past the sides of the tub,
And will keep rocks from coming up too far between tires so the rear can climb over what ever the front can...

Like the name implies,
The 'Rock Slider' should 'Slide' on any rock your front tires can climb, and direct that rock harmlessly to the rear tire...
EVEN if you are mostly on your side!
Real Rock Sliders extend out past the body by a few inches to save the sheet metal when you are on your side!

Real Rock Sliders are like skid plates, they should mount to your FRAME so the impact between Slider and rock isn't transfered to the body...

The same way your 'Roll Cage' should be tied directly to your frame, not the body!

Believe it or not, it's fairly easy to tear the body off a frame!
The body bolts are only run through sheet metal, and it doesn't take much to tear those bolts out, right through the sheet metal!

So if you get 'Rock Sliders',
Get the 'REAL ONES', that have a bottom 'Transfer' bar to drag over rocks between the tires,
And an outside bar, to keep rocks from molesting your sheet metal when on your side!
----------------------------------------

Most of us 'Mud' and 'Trail' guys don't need full on 'Rock Sliders', so we use Corner Protectors instead...
And the extra bars and drag hanging down will actually hurt you in mud, so we don't use full on Rock Sliders very often around here...

If you are serious about ROCKS!...
Then get yourself some full on, frame mounted, three tube ROCK SLIDERS and don't look back!
An extra brace in the frame or cross member where the sliders mount to the frame isn't a bad idea either!
Remember, those rock guys often DROP onto rocks, and that is one heck of a load on the frame attachment points!

When I install full on rock sliders, I usually fabricate at least 4 mounting points for the sliders to mount to frame.
That helps spread out the impact quite a bit,
And if it's a stock Jeep frame instead of a buggy, then I like to reinforce the INSIDE of the frame,
or weld extending mounts on the OUTSIDE of the frame to further spread the load out...

487d1242433083-rock-slider-opinions-recomendations-101_0037.jpg

Although you have outboard protection for your rocker,
there is no 'Slider' bar hanging down at frame level to keep your spring mounts, shackle reversal shackles, skidplates from hanging up on rocks...

There is no 'SLIDER' bar at frame level to keep rocks from banging the underside of the body either.

I'm not knocking your protection, it's a good compromize between really heavy, full on ROCK SLIDERS, and just rocker protectors,
And I've made many of them just like what you have for us 'Mud & Trail' guys...

I actually prefer the side protector to be a little lower than the side of the Jeep,
So it can be used as both a rock slider and STEP/RUNNING BOARD to get In/Out (Fat guy with bad back and have a short girlfriend)

The bad part about the type you have and I've made is they like to cause ROT under them,
And they transfer every knock and bang, all side and bottom contact directly to the body,
Instead of transferring that energy to the frame which is much better suited to handle it!
------------------------

But full on rock crawlers usually like a bar lower, and between tires, like just under the rocker, to keep a rock from getting snagged in the under carriage of the jeep, or the skid plate, or the spring mounts... ECT.

Nothing sucks more than having a rock hang in a spring mount or body cross brace,
OR even punching through the floor!

Thanks everyone. I was without a computer for 2 days and just checked back in.

To be honest rocks are unaviodable here in my area even on moderate trails and I've seen just about every configuration of sliders here. I've always thought along the same lines as TeamRush when it comes to rock sliders, but wanted to here all opinions. I'm sure the others offer protection and alot of people here use them, but I'm just not liking drilling through my body panels and having something that can trap moisture. I have seen a couple that acted like a can opener on the side of there Jeep. If not designed properly the sliders can do a lot of damage to the side. I guess you could argue that even though there was some damage it would have been worse without anything there. To be fair I've also seen quite a few like the shockworks sliders that work great and protect extremely well. I guess it comes down to what you need in your area. I'm still open to all designs but have always considered the frame mounts to be better. I know there are many people who would strongly disagree with that though. I'll post what I decided on later.

How about an opinion on these. http://www.rocky-road.com/jeeprockrail.html

I agree with team rush.
It's not a great pic. but these have worked well for me.

IMG_1096_800x600.png

Zuni, 'sup homey? Old Dog's look like they work pretty well. I am building some pretty similar only with the slider bar angled up at about at 22.5* to cover the rocker from more direct side impacts. They will be mounted to the frame lower-side and gusseted.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom