Replace captive nut

Replace captive nut

Davezilla

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
74 CJ5 Dirt Drag Jeep
I just broke loose a captive nut in one of my bucket seats. Has anyone ever replaced one? If so, what did you do? I really do not want to buy new seats for my Jeep.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I assume you mean a nut up inside the seat at the bottom of the seat frame? Just a guess but if so one option is to pull the cover off the seat and re-weld it. Otherwise, if the bottom frame is a “tube” material and not solid stock maybe get a course thread bolt or lag with a shaft size close to the hole then force “screw” the bolt in. If there is enough bite in the metal of the tube it just might work. If the frame is solid maybe you can tap it for a bolt. (Or am I completely off the mark here)

In the bottom of my seat there is 4 nuts that appear to be welded to flat washers that are made into the seat bottom. This is where you bolt the sliders to the seat bottoms. Taking off the sliders, one of the nuts broke loose inside the seat bottom. Someone has suggested getting some Plusnuts and using them. I ordered some of these off Ebay and should have them by the middle of next. I will let everyone know how this works out.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
In the bottom of my seat there is 4 nuts that appear to be welded to flat washers that are made into the seat bottom. This is where you bolt the sliders to the seat bottoms. Taking off the sliders, one of the nuts broke loose inside the seat bottom. Someone has suggested getting some Plusnuts and using them. I ordered some of these off Ebay and should have them by the middle of next. I will let everyone know how this works out.
Thanks for your help.

I had one break loose along with the part of the bottom of the seat it was welded to , I took some of the seat cover loose and was able to use wet towels to get under it and weld back into place and it worked great , if your careful it can be repaired as good as new

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks