Removing Stubborn Pitman Arm

Removing Stubborn Pitman Arm

JeepDave

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ7, 304
I'm having a heck of a time removing my Pitman Arm. I've watched several YouTube videos and everyone uses air tools to zip it right off. Me on the other hand, I'm tightening the Pitman Arm screw and having to bang on the front of the Pitman Arm with a 3lbs sledge. I sprayed a bunch of bolt breaker on the splines in hopes of adding a little more lube but that hasn't helped.

Also, any point in removing the castle nut to allow for a little more wiggle room when pulling off the arm or will the grease bearing flex enough so as to allow the arm to drop below the threads? I already removed the castle nut but don't want to do more work than I have to...

Any thoughts, tricks or any other advice welcome. Thanks! JD

arm.jpg

Try this

First take a close look at the gap between the pitman arm and the face of the steering box. If you see any variance, use a 2' long pry bar to even the gap. You may have to release the tension from the pulley puller if that's your picture. I remember if you don't keep the gap equal while removing the arm, it will bind. I moved the prybar around the gap in 1/2" increments and just continually "bumped" it. Don't be afraid to give it a good bump. When it starts to work loose, it comes right off. I think you've got it bound up.

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-25i...SellerId=Kmart&prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

I would check with an auto parts store, such as Autozone, for a loaner pitman arm puller. If you haven't used this service before, they loan tools with a small deposit, refunded when you return the tool.

Depending on age (time it’s been on the gearbox), you may have to cut it. I’ve had a few of the cheap parts store pullers splay-out & become useless due to seized pitman arms.

Depending on age (time it’s been on the gearbox), you may have to cut it. I’ve had a few of the cheap parts store pullers splay-out & become useless due to seized pitman arms.

I ended up purchasing the same puller as the one I splayed but this time used anti-seize spray as well as a 3lbs sledge and finally got the effer off! Once I get the steering rod reattached to the new gearbox I'll fight to get the large nut and lock washer back on and the arm back in place...

Alas, it's always one thing after another when digging into a Jeep :)

I ended up purchasing the same puller as the one I splayed but this time used anti-seize spray as well as a 3lbs sledge and finally got the effer off! Once I get the steering rod reattached to the new gearbox I'll fight to get the large nut and lock washer back on and the arm back in place...

Alas, it's always one thing after another when digging into a Jeep :)
That's where those orange deadblow hammers from harbor freight come in handy, easy on the splines and threads

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks