Recommended oil for AMC 360?

Recommended oil for AMC 360?

1994ranger

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 CJ7, 360, T176, D300, 8.8 rear, D44 front, aspiring to swap a 5.3/4L60E!
Hi! My new-to-me 79 CJ7 has a swapped AMC 360 in it. Miles are unknown but it runs very well and appears to have been rebuilt at some point. I want to change the oil. I live in the middle TN area. The lowest temp I saw this year was 7F at night. Highest is 98F or so. Humidity is high in the summer.

I've seen several recommendations, most of which are non-synthetic:
10W-40
15W-30
5W-20, etc.

I'm likely not going to drive this over 5k/yr and won't be doing any wheeling or other hard use activities for a long time.

What oil would you recommend for my situation?
Thank you so much!!

I like using a 10w30 high zinc oil such as the Valvoline VR1. If you have high miles, maybe a 10w40

I like using a 10w30 high zinc oil such as the Valvoline VR1. If you have high miles, maybe a 10w40

Thanks! I don't know the mileage of the engine, so would using 10W-40 be a safer bet? I don't see VR1 in 10W-40. Do you have another brand to recommend for 10W-40?

Last edited:
Lucas makes a 10w40 high zinc. I'm currently using Lucas 10w30 high zinc, but the engine only has about 3,000 miles on it.

10W-30 or 10W-40 would be fine.
LG

Thank you all. I've got some Lucas high zinc 10W-40 in the mail to try!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks