Body Rear bumperettes

Body Rear bumperettes

totalpackage

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 and 79 CJ 5, (sold) , 83 CJ 7 Laredo current
Guys, #1, was this design stock? #2, where can I find some identical?
I have looked online with no luck for my 83 cj 7 Laredo.523756A5-B42A-4291-925F-0A387304341A.jpeg

Yes. Bumperettes were stock. The bumperettes were a carry-over from the original military jeeps. Their true function was for "absorbers" during towing (both sharp turns and jackknifing). Often the trailers or towbars would be fitted with matching plates that lined up with them. They are readily available. Crown part # 5355457K are the black ones (about $90). Kentrol makes a nice stainless set (part # 50438) for about $130. 4wheelparts.com has all these.

Stainless bumperettes
Black bumperettes

I also have a set of used ones in black if you're interested.

bumperette_1.jpg bumperette_2.jpg

Thanks interesting to know the history! I had already seen the ones you mentioned but was hoping to find replacements for the model that is currently on there. They look similar to the 41-45 model design. More rugged look. Take a close look at that pic. Thanks again.

Thanks interesting to know the history! I had already seen the ones you mentioned but was hoping to find replacements for the model that is currently on there. They look similar to the 41-45 model design. More rugged look. Take a close look at that pic. Thanks again.
Maybe the ones on mine are the 41-45 model and modified to fit.

Nice pictures TSB8C. Never seen the tow bar with those before

These bumperettes look nice, and are historically interesting. Other than that, I find them impractical and ended up removing them. They protrude and don’t help with departure angle. But they sure do give a classic appeal to a CJ.

These bumperettes look nice, and are historically interesting. Other than that, I find them impractical and ended up removing them. They protrude and don’t help with departure angle. But they sure do give a classic appeal to a CJ.

Agreed. Classical appeal, but not really practical IMO. I prefer a real bumper with a standard 2" receiver and d-rings. Hitch the trailer, mount the bike rack, and pull or be pulled if/when needed.

Yes. Bumperettes were stock. The bumperettes were a carry-over from the original military jeeps. Their true function was for "absorbers" during towing (both sharp turns and jackknifing). Often the trailers or towbars would be fitted with matching plates that lined up with them. They are readily available. Crown part # 5355457K are the black ones (about $90). Kentrol makes a nice stainless set (part # 50438) for about $130. 4wheelparts.com has all these.

Stainless bumperettes
Black bumperettes

I also have a set of used ones in black if you're interested.
Keep in mind that aftermarket bumperettes are not the same as OEM. Aftermarket ones are not of same thickness and weight and not the same shape for the CJ. The attached are OEM. Note flange on one edge of CJ bumperettes shown (as well as in TSBBC vintage picture). This style remained through 1986 CJs. If you want to add bumperettes I recommend you locate an OEM pair. If you want them in chrome, you will have a difficult time locating. Chrome bumperettes came on Laredo models only. Cheers, JS

Attachments

• CJ.jpg
    CJ.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 7
Yes, Im assuming mine are original, shown in 1st post. At this point, i would likely try and have mine restored. I will take a closer shot so you guys can tell me if you think they are original. One is heavily rusted.

I guess mine are not original, and that flared edge yields a much nicer appearance.

Attachments

• 90E329F5-7408-4C05-A57A-4C0CA35B4FBC.jpeg
    90E329F5-7408-4C05-A57A-4C0CA35B4FBC.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 10
Build your own. Loong time ago, I had a 83 CJ with 'em. I welded in a bottom and made a top/lid with hinges and lock. I keep my chains and few tools in there.

Those in the picture on the back of the TJ and the yellow YJ are YJ bumperettes. CJ
bumperettes are different. Just sayin.......

Guys, #1, was this design stock? #2, where can I find some identical?
I have looked online with no luck for my 83 cj 7 Laredo.View attachment 75685
I was hoping you were talking about the spare tire carrier. I have the same questions about that. Anyone know about parts for the carrier?

PS - I did purchase the black bumperettes from omix. They bolted on easy and haven’t rusted yet for 3 years

Nice finds. I gave my whole unit away. With just a 30 inch tire at the time cracked the body, to much weight, I got a bumper swing out mounted unit.
Yea. With a good bumper and frame tie-ins, no need for all that weight on the body.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom