Rear bds springs on front of cj7

Rear bds springs on front of cj7

Sweatty Betty

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 cj7, 4.2 with 4.0 head, Weber 38, ax 15, 4.88s with tru trac rear, lock rite front, 4 inch bds with 35 mtrs
Would like to go with wider springs on front of CJ7. I have 4 inch bds rear springs I would like to use instead of buying yj springs. Will this work? I know spring pad will have to replaced and have hangers that will fit. I can remove a leaf if needed. Currently has a 4 inch lift. Advice appreciated

Yes, it will work. You will sacrifice approach angle. Your tires might rub at full steering ends. Your axle will be moved forward and drag link might interfere with pitman arm. Your vehicle will be heavier. Your ride will be stiffer. Your call. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, but I am a little confused. The rears are the same length as the fronts ( I Think) so I don't see how approach angle or axle position is affected ( I know the yj springs change this, but I am using cj rear springs). The weight can't be more than 5 lbs different. The stiffness is my unknown. Are the rear springs that much stiffer, and will removing the lower leaf soften them up any. I appreciate your time and information

YJ springs are the same length front and rear, CJ’s are not. I personally do not recommend softening the spring rate by removing leaves. If you want wider and stronger springs, or if you just like the better looks, you can have them custom made through a company named Alcan Spring.

FYI, I too tried rear CJ springs in the front and YJ springs on all corners and ran them for a while. I regretted this mods and went to high quality stock springs. Trust me, I am not a purist. The YJ springs could not stand up to the torque of my engine and also bottomed out fast. I did a shackle inversion in the front, and the shorter stock springs yielded better fitment. I couldn’t be happier. To each their own. LOL. Good luck!

Thanks, I wanted real experience input, very helpful

You are welcome.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks