Questions about a ZJ lift

Questions about a ZJ lift

CoreyYoungCj577

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj7 232 inline 6,Dana 20 Tc,T-150 Trans, stock diffs.
So i have a question because Sami (my lovely soon to be wife) wants to lift the her 98 gran cherokee a bit and i found a used 4.5-5 inch rubicon express lift for it for 550 which is a great deal considering the lift is 1000-2000 new i just wanted to know a few things.

If i lift it that high will i have to do a Tranfer case drop?
Will i have to get extended brake lines?
Will i have to buy a different driveshaft?
There is probably way more questions but these are the main ones, because i dont know much about this thing yet. But if anyone could help me out id appreciate it as always!

Elwood did you have to do anythings like this on your Cherokee?

If i did a 3 inch lift would i be able to get away without doing the longer brake lines and 1" transfercase drop and the slip yoke eliminator?

3" you will still need longer brake lines. You may be able to get away without doing the transfer case drop, but I can't be certain, it's going to depend on the driveshaft angles, you may end up with wobble without one. 3" you will be good without the slipyoke eliminator. You will still either need an adjustable track bar, or a track bar relocation bracket.

3" you will still need longer brake lines. You may be able to get away without doing the transfer case drop, but I can't be certain, it's going to depend on the driveshaft angles, you may end up with wobble without one. 3" you will be good without the slipyoke eliminator. You will still either need an adjustable track bar, or a track bar relocation bracket.

Hmm well most of the 3 inch kits come with the adjustable track bar i think id have to check to be certain and i think i might go with a 3 inch lift and buy a nice tom woods cv driveshaft and some SS brake lines and make sure the kit i get has the track bar, with a 3 inch can i fit 31x10.50 under the ZJ without rubbing?

31's on a 3" lift you should be okay. Do you have stock 16" rims, that's going to change your tire size options.

31's on a 3" lift you should be okay. Do you have stock 16" rims, that's going to change your tire size options.

Ya it has whatever stock size came on a 98 so then if its 16's yes it does. and what do you mean by changing my tire size options? and is it hard to put new brake lines on?

Ya it has whatever stock size came on a 98 so then if its 16's yes it does. and what do you mean by changing my tire size options? and is it hard to put new brake lines on?

Most 16" tires don't come in standard (i.e. 31") tires sizes, they come in metric sizes (265/70/16), that's all. As long as you know how to bleed brakes, you can change brake lines.

Most 16" tires don't come in standard (i.e. 31") tires sizes, they come in metric sizes (265/70/16), that's all. As long as you know how to bleed brakes, you can change brake lines.

I know of what you need to do to bleed brakes, personally have never done it but hey my dad has and isnt that what dads are for :D and i never knew that about rims, considering my 4x4 2000 sierra has 16 inch rims and 31 inch tires ;). But thank you for all the info Elwood i appreciate it! and i think im going to go with a 3 inch (not sure on brand yet) and get everything you said minus the few things we talked about earlier and put some 31x10.50's under it on some mickey thompson classic chromes. But better yet the fiancee is gonna pay for it and im just doing the labor :cool: lol

I have a pieced together lift. My front coils are from Rusty's Offroad, my upper and lower control arms are from Rubicon Express, the rear leafs are Skyjacker and the longer shackles are also from Rusty's. I highly recommend Rusty's Offroad, I checked out thier site, a 3" ZJ lift including shocks and trac bar drop bracket is $439. The only extra thing you would need are the brake lines.

Rustys Offroad: ZJ Grand Cherokee 3" Basic Lift Kit

I have a pieced together lift. My front coils are from Rusty's Offroad, my upper and lower control arms are from Rubicon Express, the rear leafs are Skyjacker and the longer shackles are also from Rusty's. I highly recommend Rusty's Offroad, I checked out thier site, a 3" ZJ lift including shocks and trac bar drop bracket is $439. The only extra thing you would need are the brake lines.

Rustys Offroad: ZJ Grand Cherokee 3" Basic Lift Kit

I checked out that site to and its looks great im most likely going with that one and then should i buy SS steel braided breaks lines? and im probably gonna run new shocks all the way around, and i think im gonna go with some cheapy wrangler T/A tires from wal mart haha!

The kit comes with new shocks. I would go with SS lines, they're not that expensive, less than $100.

Corey, take Pic's of the build for us. (with a camera not your phone):chug:

Corey, take Pic's of the build for us. (with a camera not your phone):chug:
I will when me and the woman get the money set aside for this but it looks like im probably looking around 650 or a little bit more cause im doing all new shocks the lift and the SS lines but thats not to bad priced. Then of course tires and rims will cost probably about 400-600 so all in all 1200 aint to bad for everything. ;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks