quality steering pump?

quality steering pump?

lowcountry

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 CJ7, 258, D30, amc 20, D300, 4sp, '70 Z28, LSX, 6sp, 711 fwhp (N/A), 2015 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
I have searched several pages of posts and not seeing what I want so far.

Looking for a top tier pump. From what I'm reading, Crown and Omix are near the bottom. The others I have seen are AGR and PSC. The PSC # SP-1402 appears to be a candidate.

Any thoughts on this? Other brands? Not looking to save $ necessarily...

Mucho Gracias.

Any reason a stock replacement won't work for you? They're $40 or $50 bucks for reman at the parts store (last time I checked anyway).

Not only are Crown & Omix mostly junk, but they are stupid expensive for common replacement items (like steering pumps/boxes, alternators, clutches, etc)

Any reason a stock replacement won't work for you? They're $40 or $50 bucks for reman at the parts store (last time I checked anyway).

Not only are Crown & Omix mostly junk, but they are stupid expensive for common replacement items (like steering pumps/boxes, alternators, clutches, etc)

Thanks for your response.

Would probably work fine. I tend to stay away from most "rebuilt" stuff as much as possible. In my 50+ years of 'hot rodding' and building machines, I have found that rebuilt/remanufactured parts are hit and miss. As I've gotten older, I tend to enjoy sitting in the seat more than lying under the chassis or working under the hood. Also, a higher volume pump is more responsive if needed - not sure yet what I might be doing with this jeep.

The CJ power steering pump is a GM unit that is the same as on a lot of GM vehicles. I don't know if anyone has ever done any research to see if a higher volume pump might be available with the same mounting points or not. Might be a good time to do it.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

The CJ power steering pump is a GM unit that is the same as on a lot of GM vehicles. I don't know if anyone has ever done any research to see if a higher volume pump might be available with the same mounting points or not. Might be a good time to do it.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Thanks caveman.

I have no problems with GM parts. I am a big time Chevy guy. My problem with rebuilds is you never know what "shop" they were rebuilt at or what parts they really replaced. Or what parts that were not replaced because they passed 'inspection' - but fail 3 months later...

Anyway, from PSC's website:

"The heart of the 1400 pump is a larger ring and rotor which displaces more fluid per revolution. This makes this pump the pump of choice for Rock Crawlers that operate at low engine RPMs and have extensive steering modifications."

I'm not a Jeep guy (yet), and don't know how important all the different pieces are that make up this machine. So, my philosophy is to buy the best I can afford to make up for my inexperience.

If you want new and not reman, then I would definitely go with PSC or AGR over Crown or Omix. Hard to argue with better quality at the same (or less) price. I don't have any experience with PSC or AGR, but they are both well respected companies from what I gather. I know a guy who has an AGR steering box on his CJ7 and hasn't had any issues with it. He's had the Jeep for probably 6 or 7 years now with no issues. I don't know if he has the AGR pump too or not.

If you want new and not reman, then I would definitely go with PSC or AGR over Crown or Omix. Hard to argue with better quality at the same (or less) price. I don't have any experience with PSC or AGR, but they are both well respected companies from what I gather. I know a guy who has an AGR steering box on his CJ7 and hasn't had any issues with it. He's had the Jeep for probably 6 or 7 years now with no issues. I don't know if he has the AGR pump too or not.

Thanks. Yep, I'm thinking about the PSC - just waiting to hear back if the price I saw includes the reservoir.

Where in NC are you located?

Thanks. Yep, I'm thinking about the PSC - just waiting to hear back if the price I saw includes the reservoir.

Where in NC are you located?

Along I95 near the VA line. If you go PSC it will be interesting to see if you notice any difference from stock.

Along I95 near the VA line. If you go PSC it will be interesting to see if you notice any difference from stock.

I pass through there quite often in my travels.

I won't have the opportunity to notice the difference. I just brought this Jeep back New Mexico. The steering column needs replacing and it has manual steering. I really want power steering, so I am swapping all of that out while replacing the column and at the same time replacing all of the 35 year old front suspension - tie rods, ball joints, etc.

After that, I will install a lift kit and some new wheels - not sure yet of those specifics. I will probably seek further help with that part.

Thanks for everyone's help/insight so far.

Hello, lowcountry. I'm looking for a replacement power steering pump and found this thread. Did you go with the PSC and can you give any feedback on it?

Thanks

You might check Tuff Stuff. I have had excellent results with their Gen II pumps.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks