Pull body tub?

Pull body tub?

CJ

Admin
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30
'82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30
Besides having a bunch of friends over for :beer: and BBQ, what is the preferred method of lifting off your CJ's body tub?

I am going to pull mine and since I'm going to be placing it on and off a few times (and my friends can drink a keg of :beer: at a whim), I'm thinking of buying an A-Frame. I don't want to spend a ton of money though.

Anyone have one they can recommend? And, since I'm no structural engineer... How much weight can a roof truss hold? Maybe just rig up a winch to a few trusses to distribute the load?

I don't think I can extend or rig an engine hoist to lift the tub... Or - can I? Anyone ever done this?

I usually work by myself so single person operation is a must.

Thoughts?

Besides having a bunch of friends over for :beer: and BBQ, what is the preferred method of lifting off your CJ's body tub?

I am going to pull mine and since I'm going to be placing it on and off a few times (and my friends can drink a keg of :beer: at a whim), I'm thinking of buying an A-Frame. I don't want to spend a ton of money though.

Anyone have one they can recommend? And, since I'm no structural engineer... How much weight can a roof truss hold? Maybe just rig up a winch to a few trusses to distribute the load?

I don't think I can extend or rig an engine hoist to lift the tub... Or - can I? Anyone ever done this?

I usually work by myself so single person operation is a must.

Thoughts?

Building contractor here!
If you can get into the area over finished ceiling in your garage I would take 2-2X6 X 10's screw and glue them together, lay them on edge, and build a makeshift "outrigger just to hold them that way, and and sling over them to a hoist. The body is not very heavy. and any standard framing will easily handle the load spread over several truss members.

there is a thread, on pirate i think, of a guy that did that. installed eye-hooks thru the ceiling and into 2x6s. used a small chain hoist to lift the tub up and out of the way.

myself I'd want a vehicle hoist to lift it, like the guys on TV.

I'm going to look into the ceiling lift (through the attic - thanks coldwater), but I'm not sure where or what to do with the tub once I pull it. I really want an A-Frame (I am a toolaholic you know...) but still not sure if my wallet does! :eek:

just store it above you against the ceiling until your ready to work on it. then lower it down.

look at harbor freight, they sell a decent A-frame for about $500.

just store it above you against the ceiling until your ready to work on it. then lower it down.

look at harbor freight, they sell a decent A-frame for about $500.
I would love to store it above but have one problem. The ceiling in my garage is finished and just doesn't have the head room. See the attached pic...

I have considered the HF one, even have one about 1 hr away from me and they stock it. Just having trouble parting with the $$$, I'm sure I'll get over it though! :D

Attachments

• clearcorner.jpg
    clearcorner.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 274
Quick update - case solved.

I didn't know (maybe forgot) my friend at work had an A-Frame at his shop. All I have to do is put the CJ on a trailer and take it over. About a five minute trip. He had his chain hoist stolen a while ago so I picked up one for him as a thank you...

Done deal!

there is a thread, on pirate i think, of a guy that did that. installed eye-hooks thru the ceiling and into 2x6s. used a small chain hoist to lift the tub up and out of the way.

myself I'd want a vehicle hoist to lift it, like the guys on TV.

Your flagrant use of such vulgarities bewilders me.:eek: :p

Hey cj, I know you said you were going to a buddys to take the tub off, but what about using 2 engine hoists and some recovery straps. Loop them under the body, keep them spread out by notched 2x4's, and lift.

Your flagrant use of such vulgarities bewilders me.:eek: :p

Pirate has a lot of good tech, I've just learned to cherry-pick where I'm at (NO GD) and where I post. I go there to learn, not discuss/fight/flame.
Not that I'm thin skinned by any means, but even I can't handle the internet punks and know-it-alls over there for very long.

sorry im french my english may need work a little but i can tell you just what i would do at you place ....i would jack my tub up and place some 2x4 under it and support it on candles higher than the frame ...and then i would roll my frame out from under the tub alone its easy but if you dont want to move the frame out this is not you best option bye bye :chug:

I used an engine hoist about 2 wks ago to pull my tub. I stripped down the tub before I pulled it, and ran the 2 front seat belts through the hook

79cj7-030.jpg

79cj7-037.jpg

Heck Cj, I just used a cutting torch to take the CJ7 apart. You should have done that...:laugh:

I used an engine hoist about 2 wks ago to pull my tub. I stripped down the tub before I pulled it, and ran the 2 front seat belts through the hook

:) - I pulled mine with an A-Frame but that is a good idea!

Heck Cj, I just used a cutting torch to take the CJ7 apart. You should have done that...:laugh:

(mylittle) :punk: :biggun:(CJ)

:laugh: :laugh:

OUCh...ya got me.....

:laugh:

there is a tech article on early CJ5.com on a rotisserie you can weld up to hold a cj body, I am sure you could change a few measurements if it is nit a early CJ5 you are pulling. anyway once bolted to the rotisserie you can spin the tub all the way around to work on it, really killer idea.

there is a tech article on early CJ5.com on a rotisserie you can weld up to hold a cj body, I am sure you could change a few measurements if it is nit a early CJ5 you are pulling. anyway once bolted to the rotisserie you can spin the tub all the way around to work on it, really killer idea.

Why does your dill-DOE have antlers?? :D

That there would be a dill-BUCK.

I found that avatar last week, I am still cracking up about it, I have another I like with a bear on a jeep pushing it up and down.
I never thought about the dill Buck thing, I was laughing so hard about the dill pickle idea.

3 people to get it off, 4 people to put back on(being more carefull) or 1 guy and a loader:D

Attachments

• P1000698.jpg
    P1000698.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 583

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom