Propane Conversion Tech Write-Up

Propane Conversion Tech Write-Up

CJim7

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ7 - 430hp 401 on propane - T18a/D300 twinsticked, Superior axles, Lockers, full boatsides, Warn 8274, OBA, 36" TSL's.
For those of you wondering if I was ever going to get around to the write-up I promised...well, here it is :D
If CJ feels this should be in a different forum, he is more then welcome to move it appropriately. After all, it IS his site :notworthy:

There are 3 basic components to my propane setup. Not counting tanks and lines, they consist of a vaporizer/mixer, carburetor, and a vacuum controlled cutoff switch. Before I get into the particulars, it is important to note that this is a pieced together system with 3 different companies involved. For anyone doing the conversion, I highly recommend going with a complete kit from someone like Gotpropane.com. They are the premier outfitters for propane conversions and their customer service and support are unparalleled.

The first piece to this puzzle is the carburetor. I am using an Impco model (450 I believe it is) and a chevy square bore throttle plate. The carb is stupid simple and possesses nothing more then a jet, butterfly valve, and vacuum ports for advance and such. There is no choke.
The picture below shows my old Quadrajet on the right and the new Impco propane carb on the left. The carb utilizes a spring loaded vacuum operated door system to let air into the intake during startup and operation. When the engine is off, the door completely seals up from the outside air. The carb also utilizes a standard vacuum system for vacuum advance as well as any other vacuum operated equipment...more on that later.

th_DSCF3766.jpg

th_DSCF3759.jpg

The next couple of shots is the carb mounted to my Edelbrock manifold. Fitment was a piece of cake and it takes up less room and looks less trashy then my old Quaddrajet.....a much sleeker unit to be sure.

th_DSCF3768.jpg

th_DSCF3767.jpg

Any aftermarket air cleaner will work on this as well as stock Quadrajet air cleaners. Do not use a raised cleaner assembly however as it will impede the flow of air to the intake opening. They are usually raised from the neck up and that is where the restriction will take place.

th_DSCF3770.jpg

The next photo is the Woodward vacuum cutoff (small unit on the right) and the OHC Model X-1 vaporizer/mixer on the left. The mixer is the most important part of the conversion. It's job is to turn pressurized propane into a gas form and lower the pressure to a usable psi. The mixer also needs to keep from freezing up so it is fitted with a coolant bladder which utilizes the engine's own radiator fluid. I ran my heater return hose from the heater core to the inlet and then back to the intake manifold. There are a couple of ways to do this, but using the existing heater hoses is the easiest.
The mixer has an atmospheric pressure diaphragm in it and needs to be regulated by outside source...therefore it has a small filter on it to keep pressure equal to the outside air.

The fuel cutoff is just that. It is a safety precaution that only allows propane to enter the mixer/vaporizer when the engine is running or being started. It operates by vacuum from the carburetor, a simple vacuum line from a port to the cutoff. This is a Woodward model vacuum cutoff switch. There are also electrical units, but I like the efficiency and simplicity of the vacuum system.

I mounted both inline on the passenger side fender to keep it close to the heater lines.

th_DSCF3758.jpg

I used two 8 gallon forklift tanks as my fuel source. I have them mounted where the rear seat used to be with brackets to the floor. It is very important to note that propane tanks should never be mounted outside of the role cage...such as under the vehicle or outside of the tub. Because they are pressurized, they are extremely susceptible to being punctured. Once that happens, it not only becomes a huge safety risk, but you run out of fuel rather quickly.
As a side note, I removed my old gastank and that created a huge amount of clearance at the backend. Also gone is the charcoal canister and old fuel lines.

th_DSCF3760.jpg

The last photo shows the brackets and the fuel line. The line runs from the tanks up to my firewall and into the engine compartment where it connects directly with the cutoff switch.
Valving can be built so that a manual or electrical switch of the tanks can be made without unhooking the line and hooking it back up to a full tank. Im in the process of building a manifold system for mine as we speak.

th_DSCF3761.jpg

Now you're wondering what do do with the mechanical fuel pump. I removed it and built a simple cover plate, used a fuel pump gasket, and bolted it up...further eliminating even more lines.

That's really all there is. Tuning is very easy, but Propane requires more advanced timing...Im running 16 degrees advanced and it could use more. Another thing propane likes is high compression. When I built my 401, I went with high compression flat pistons and a cam to take advantage of it. Stock engines can take propane, it's just ideal to run a higher compression if possible.
Propane offers about the same MPG or better as gasoline for the simple fact that it is replacing an outdated gas carb. I found I got slightly better mileage with the propane. Power is another question mark. Theories state you will notice less power, but again, it is compared to an outdated gas carb. In my case I gained power and torque mainly because of the compression i run. The quadrajet I had before ran flawlessly.
Propane burns incredibly clean. The only emmisions are water vapor and CO2...You can almost breath it. The effects on the internal engine components are also desirable. Because propane is at the low end of the carbon scale, there is no buildup or depositing of carbon in the engine. My oil looks perfectly clean at the time I change it.
Another plus is propane lowers the operating temperature of the engine. My 401 runs 15 degrees cooler then when it was on gasoline. For an engine that tends to run hot anyways in stock form, this is a great help.

Stay away from dual systems. Although they are useful because of the diversity of being able to run both gas and propane, they rob power from both. A stand alone system is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. :D

Way cool!!!:notworthy: This maybe off the subject but my grandpa bought a d14 allis chalmer tractor in the early 60's one of two that where made from the factory with lp. He used it for the main tractor for as long as they had the farm and I'd hate to think how many hours are on that motor, best part is my father bought it from the grandpa in the early 80"s and we still have it. We also have a John deere 60 with lp and have taken it to several tractor pulls and have beat several suped up 60's gas and out pulled and out powered them they even went as far as to take the hood off and check the motor for iligeale upgrades. But of course they didn't find anything but a plane stock lp motor. The lp is like a fuel injection in that the fuel is under alot of pressure and the fuel and air mixture I think are forced into the pistion better then any carb could. At least that is what my grandpa told us. Tell me if I'm woung. But on tractors I know from experinance they are power houses and the motor oil when you change it out is just as clean as when you put it in. So way cool write up.:notworthy:

The lp is like a fuel injection in that the fuel is under alot of pressure and the fuel and air mixture I think are forced into the pistion better then any carb could. At least that is what my grandpa told us. Tell me if I'm woung. But on tractors I know from experinance they are power houses and the motor oil when you change it out is just as clean as when you put it in. So way cool write up.:notworthy:

I dont know what the compression ratio is on a tractor engine, but I bet it's pretty high and that would create maximum efficiency for propane combustion.
LP, when converted to vapor is far more atomized then gasoline/air through a carburetor. That fact alone means better proficiency in the combustion chamber.
Diesel engines with a propane injection are absolute monsters. The propane burn-off is quick and the high compression inherent to diesel engines is ideal.

CJim7 Thanks for the info.
You say stay away from the dual fuel setups. I ran dual fuel for a few years(late 70's gas crunch) in a 77 chevy pick-up with good results. It didn't seem to hurt the gas mpg. or performance.
I've never ran a stand alone lpg though so I don't know how well it should run on propane, but it ran as good as it did on gas, and better than a carb off raod.
I'm not pushing dual fuel, just saying I was happy with mine.

Very cool write up. A have a couple questions if you don't mind.

How far will those two tanks get you? Also, do you know if it will pass emissions?

Have you thought about using a electric solenoid connected directly to the tank/s in case of tank seperation from the vehicle, due to rollover?

I am using one of these on my diesel truck for running propane. This is a safety issue with me, due to my job.

Propane lockoff solenoid

propanetank5.jpg

CJim7 Thanks for the info.
You say stay away from the dual fuel setups. I ran dual fuel for a few years(late 70's gas crunch) in a 77 chevy pick-up with good results. It didn't seem to hurt the gas mpg. or performance.
I've never ran a stand alone lpg though so I don't know how well it should run on propane, but it ran as good as it did on gas, and better than a carb off raod.
I'm not pushing dual fuel, just saying I was happy with mine.
Since the 70's, engines and carbs have changed alot. You have emmisions that got added which is a huge difference concerning power output. Also, single fuel propane systems have come very far. The fact is, a dual system back then didnt make a lot of difference in performance over one or the other and it was actually a benefit...but the onset of better gas carbs and better stand alone LP systems have made dual setups less potent in power and performance.

Very cool write up. A have a couple questions if you don't mind.

How far will those two tanks get you? Also, do you know if it will pass emissions?
I have 16 gallons of fuel to work with and I am getting slightly better mileage then when I was on gasoline...about 13mpg. I was getting around 10mpg before. As far as emissions, many states require a visual inspection so I dont have the answer to that part of the question. Some states like California dont want you to mess with the engine, and this is an obvious modification. I have no doubt it would pass the sniffer test with better then flying colors.

Have you thought about using a electric solenoid connected directly to the tank/s in case of tank seperation from the vehicle, due to rollover?

I am using one of these on my diesel truck for running propane. This is a safety issue with me, due to my job.

Propane lockoff solenoid

propanetank5.jpg
That's a good idea. Im going to look into that, thank you :chug:

How many miles are you running on your oil? ive heard of guys putting twice the amount of miles on thier oil before changing.

Also where do you get your bottle filled?

How many miles are you running on your oil? ive heard of guys putting twice the amount of miles on thier oil before changing.
Im still changing oil every 3000 miles. Even though the carbon isn't there, oil viscosity still breaks down. Im just not sure when yet ;)
Also where do you get your bottle filled?
There are a handful of places around here that fill my tanks....so far V1 has been the cheapest. I pay $2.20/gallon with them. Uhaul is expensive at over $3 and Conoco is right up there with Uhaul.

my conversion kit has been sitting in the spare room for 2 years
guess I might now get to putting it on
great post

my conversion kit has been sitting in the spare room for 2 years
guess I might now get to putting it on
great post
It's a terrific upgrade. Absolutely the best modification you can do to a carbed engine...other then fuel injection. But simplicity plays a major role in this vs. standard FI.

Can you take some pictures of where your bottles are mounted?

Can you take some pictures of where your bottles are mounted?
Sure thing. Give me a few days, gf's daughter is using the digital for a school project and is highly possessive of it at the moment :D

But in the meantime...I mounted the brackets to the floor where the back seat was. Of course I had to drill new holes...I have them running front to back with the valves at the back for easy access.

There are a handful of places around here that fill my tanks....so far V1 has been the cheapest. I pay $2.20/gallon with them. Uhaul is expensive at over $3 and Conoco is right up there with Uhaul.

Here in sac, the u-haul usually gives a discount for "highway usage" But here it is still not that cheap :cool:

:chug:
~ JR

Where to fill? I'm no expert... but I may help you with questions to ask. I'm considering coverting, and filling it where they fill BBQ grill bottles is more expensive. I am told told you can get a tank like you would use for heating your home and if it is located above the tank you are filling, you can do it without a pump (gravity fill). Home propane will be cheaper. Locally for me, home fuel is $1.80 and vehicle/BBQ fuel is $2.25. Unleaded is $3.50.

Can anyone weigh in on this that knows more than me?

"Gravity fill" or "pump" fills are options. I'm not sure of your local laws regarding it, but you should always use caution and check out your local laws and so on and so forth...

Here's a link I found for you. I have a propane truck, and have always wondered what i would do if I ran out of propane while driving (usually i never get that low... but every once in a while i have thought "this might be the time...")

Filling your own propane tanks from a bulk tank... - WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts

That was just the first link from google search of "gravity fill propane" you can probably google fill your own propane etc for better / more info.

:chug:
~ Jr

I haven't researched this yet.....but I would like to have a fixed propane tank to fill from. What Im not sure on is laws concerning the transfer of propane/natural gas from one tank to another. I know you need a license to fill propane, and home-use tanks are directly plumbed to the facility taking that liability out of the hands of the homeowner.

I asked my local V1 guy why they don't just make it self-serve at the big tank and he almost had a stroke, said it would require everyone to be licensed to transfer gaseous fuels.

I haven't looked into the regs on all this.....

CJim7 is 100% correct! But I'd like to add a few things. The good & bad.
My first conversion was on a new '63 GMC pickup. I used the dual fuel setup which will run on gasoline or propane and is switchable from the cab while driving.
The good...
Obviously propane burns clean so there are no emissions or testing. The sparkplugs never foul and the oil stays sparkling clean which greatly reduces engine wear. I had well over half a million miles on that truck before trading it and the engine was like new. That was back in the day where we were lucky to get 100,000 miles out of an engine.
I had an 80 gallon tank mounted in the bed & could drive forever between fill-ups
It's way safer than gasoline! It's pretty difficult to rupture a propane tank Vs a gasoline tank.
The best is that without stabilizers, today's gasoline is only good for up to 3 months. Propane can sit indefinitely. It also doesn't collect moisture. You will never buy a tankful of water at the gas station.
The bad...
With a propane only setup, if you let yourself run out of gas you are in trouble. You can't just fill up a gas can & be on your way.
Radiator coolant heats the regulator, if your coolant is low, the regulator freezes and you stop.
The octane rating of propane is lower than gasoline, more so back in the '60s so there is a slight loss in power and milage. But propane usually costs less than gasoline so it's still better.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks