Build Thread Project Scrambled - The Diesel Powered CJ-9?

Build Thread Project Scrambled - The Diesel Powered CJ-9?
Got a late start this eavining, but finally started building the back half of the frame. Finish measuring and cutting the tubing at the correct angles and will start tacking it into place tomorrow. Flip it back over and adjust as needed with body down close to it. Then weld it all up and tack in cross members. Only tack in cross members so I can adjust as needed for the suspension travel. I want this thing as low to the ground as possible on 40's, so as close to stock height as possible. The lower the CG the more stable it will be off road and the better it will perform on road.

Frame Sections 1.jpg

The red mark off to the left is the hole center for the center body mount, which will need to be welded onto the new frame along with some custom rear mounts.
Frame Sections 2.jpg

Just wow, great diesel to start from, hella heavy duty drivetrain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started mocking up the frame rails and getting everything aligned. I won't burn anything in fully until I have the new body mounts to actually connect the tub to the frame and ensure there is no adjustment needed. Once that is finished I will need to get the frame up off the ground to ride height and dangle the engine over the front so I can build motor mounts and make sure the rad, rad fans have room and the engine clears the firewall. Then, I get to start the suspension mock up. That's actually my favorite part. Engine needs to go in first so I can measure out the front suspension geometry properly to make sure there is full clearance at full flex, ride, and full bump.

Just tacked in place for now. Everything clears fine, but I might cut the corner off on top and flip it over to the negative space (like a gusset). Tucking the rear rails like this gives way more room for the rear suspension and axle to articulate.
Wheelbase 3.jpg

Still not sure if I want to bring the rails in at the back slightly. More room for coilovers. This is dead strait right here.
Wheelbase 2.jpg

And ever so slightly tilted in here.
Wheelbase 1.jpg

Measuring out the desired wheelbase max of 116 inches. Grill there just for effect.
Wheelbase 4.jpg

Add two more tape measures at 40 inches each to mock up tires.
Wheelbase 5.jpg
Looking good up front.
Wheelbase 6.jpg

Looking good so far out back.
Wheelbase 7.jpg

And the fun continues... These are probably the most difficult part of the build and take the longest. The rest will fly by once the frame is done.... I hope! :drive:

Last edited:
Well after nearly an entire year being on the road for work only being home a few days each month I finally have some time at home to get back to work on this project. Annnnnd then I yanked it all out of the shop to make room for another quicker build I'm doing for the wife (or maybe for me :unsure: ). Picked up a running 1989 YJ for $400 and will do an engine and axle swap on that as quick as I can. My wife also want's me to turn one of my old VW bugs into a rock crawler. Sure, because I have all the time in the world for that too. I'll jump back on the CJ as soon as I get the YJ all done. Axles and engine is a quick and easy swap to do (famous last words).

IMG_6636.jpg

IMG_6740.jpeg

I was hoping you had not disappeared. I like reading and seeing with pictures, builds like these. Especially Jeep ones.

Lol man you have some serious irons in the fire, keep is posted we love pictures

Lol man you have some serious irons in the fire, keep is posted we love pictures
Oh, yeah! A bunch of them heating up in that fire.
So, this "quick and easy build" has shifted gears again too. The YJ is getting built, but it's getting the running gear I was going to put in this CJ build. The diesel is almost finished and about ready to get swung into the chassi to start making motor mounts.

I could bring myself to post a build thread of a YJ on this forum, so I went to Jeep forum instead. Here's that build. Lots of pictures there too!
(Link)-> Project Jurassic Jeep Recovery - Gary the YJ Wrangler... -<

I'll be back on this project soon as I can. I have another build that will come after the YJ and before finishing this one. At least until I get my new shop built where I can work on all of them at the same time (can't wait for that to be done)!

Putting the crew cab body of a 1986 Square body GMC on a 2008 Ford F-450 frame powered by a mechanical Cummins 12BT (12 Valve) and mating that to an SM465 with a NP205 transfer case and an NP203 range box for a doubler. It's going to be SICK! That will be my new shop truck. My son wants my 2015 F150 lol.

So, yeah. a LOT of irons in the fire at this point. To bad I don't have a money tree growing in the back yard next to the fire pit of irons. This is one expensive hobby.

The coffee table was pretty kewl

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks