Potential Trouble with Head Gasket

Potential Trouble with Head Gasket

MarkSud

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7 Renegade 258 inline 6. (All currently stock... working to change that one piece at a time).
So... I pulled my oil filler cap and noticed a small amount of milky substance around the top of it. After that I looked at the dip stick and it's nothing but nice clean oil, and I also drained a small amount of oil from the plug and did not see any milky substance to it or any visible coolant. I replaced the head gasket about a month ago, did I mess something up? I read that if it doesn't run for extended periods of time (for a while I only started it to idle for a bit and drive 2-3 miles to the gas station and back) it could result in trapped vapor not being given the opportunity to burn completely off. Thoughts?

Having previous experience in a oil change business , I have seen many vechiles that have this condition due to short trips and not letting the motor reach full operational temperture.

I have to agree it is not yet time to panic. Short trips with the engine not coming to full temp for very long will lead to some vapor around the filler cap turning the oil build up white. I would keep an eye on the dipstick for awhile. Also you can start the jeep cold with the radiator cap off and look for bubbles in the coolant; if you see bubbles it usually means the head gasket has a problem.

Cool. Thanks for validating my thoughts! I'll keep ya'll updated. :chug:

Update. Borrowed a Block Check device from Autozone and the fluid stayed blue when I tested the radiator. So far so good. At least no combustion gases in the coolant.

Another thing you can do is a compression test if you have a bad head gasket one or two will read low.

Went out to the garrage today and noticed some cooland under the jeep. It looks to be leaking from in between the head and the block... I could be in trouble with another tear down in my future. It runs find, and this is new (only about 80 miles since I pulled the head the first time). If I do have to redo, can I reuse my $100 ARP head bolts (bough brand new 2 months ago)?

Do you guys think that it just loosened up (I didn't go back and Retorque) and all I should have to do is pull the valve cover and give it a once over with the TRQ wrench? Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

I would try that and see. Make sure you watch your oil real close to see if any coolant is in it. Quick check of the plug will tell the tale!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks