Plumbers Putty vs Body Caulk

Plumbers Putty vs Body Caulk

steve1973

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ5 258 CI, 2005 Ford F150 FX4 5.4L, 2010 Mazda CX9 AWD
Is Plumbers Putty a viable substitute for Body Caulk? It seems to have a wide temp range, waterproof, multiple substrate compatibility and economical.

NO. Plumbers putty would not be a good choice at all. Why not use the correct product? I got mine online for about $10 per 10oz tube.
Plumbers putty does not stick, dries out and is not paintable just to name a few.

I have to 2nd that motion plumbers putty is not going to stick to anything

My intent would be to use under the mounting plate of a roll bar. No painting necesary, and I've never seen the stuff freeze, crack or dry out. I happen to have a 5 pound tub of it lying around and didnt want it to go to waste.

that would probably be a good place for it since it wont glue the roll bar down

The more I have pondered this post the more of a great idea that I think it is....one of the most common places to rot out is under the rollbar mount and plumbers putty wont stick and it wont allow water in between the body and rollbar good thinkin :chug:

Worked like a charm. I had my kids roll it out like play-doh into 1/4 inch round 'ropes'.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks