play in wheel - repack or replace wheel bearings?

play in wheel - repack or replace wheel bearings?

funkysandman

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 258 t18a d20 d30/d44 4.88 spring over ausie locker in rear 35 bfg mtr
I jacked up the cj the other day and noticed some play in the front passenger wheel (hands on top and bottom test). There is no noise or drag noticeable, just wondering if I need to order bearings or wait until I take it apart to see?

I would suggest taking both wheels apart, they should have no play in them or very little. They should be repacked about every 30k, probably basic wheel bearing maintaince.

When was the last time you serviced those bearings.
You do know there is a set of needle bearings inside the spindle also.
Tighten the bearing hub nut to spec, and see what happens.
LG

I'd take the bearing apart and inspect it. If it looks good: clean, pack, replace and set according to specs.

Do the other one too, so you have a record when BOTH were done.

Are you sure it is not ball joints? I thought my bearings were wasted but when I tore it down and really looked at it I noticed my lower ball joints were toast.

If it is the bearings replace them. Skip the chinese :dung: and get some Timkens which I think (hope) are still US made.

Ok, i won't order bearings until I open it up. I'll post back with my findings

Ok, i won't order bearings until I open it up. I'll post back with my findings

The front wheel bearings and seals are usually a stock item at any of the box stores and what I would call inexpensive, and a fairly small chore to remove and replace. For those reasons, I would recommend replacing them....then you know what you have and won't have to go in there for years...unless your axle see's alot of water and mud. Just my $0.02......:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks